FOUND: “PAPA LOVES MAMBO”

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Raphael
Victor IV

FOUND: “PAPA LOVES MAMBO”

Post by Raphael »

I need Dean Martin’s 78-rpm version of “Papa Loves Mambo” in excellent condition.

Thanks,

Raphael
Last edited by Raphael on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

marco
Victor II

Re: WANTED: “PAPA LOVES MAMBO”

Post by marco »

Raphael wrote:I need Dean Martin’s 78-rpm version of “Papa Loves Mambo” in excellent condition.

Thanks,

Raphael
Hi Raphael!

I have nearly a complete run of Dean Martin 78's from the 1940's through foreign pressings made into the mid 1960's. I have never seen a single of Dean Martin singing "Papa Loves Mambo" on 78, 45rpm or even on an LP or compilation. Perry Como Had the first Hit version of "Papa" in 1954 on RCA Victor. Nat "King" Cole also released a popular version around the same time on the Purple Capitol Label; but I have never seen a version by Dean and I have been pursuing and collecting all kinds of 78rpm records for 40+ years. Did you ever see or hear this version? Dean Martin did do a Popular Cover Version of Rosemary Clooney's Hit "Mambo Italiano" in 1955--could that be what you are looking for. No offense--just trying to help out. Best! Mark

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

marco wrote:
Raphael wrote:I need Dean Martin’s 78-rpm version of “Papa Loves Mambo” in excellent condition.

Thanks,

Raphael
Hi Raphael!

I have nearly a complete run of Dean Martin 78's from the 1940's through foreign pressings made into the mid 1960's. I have never seen a single of Dean Martin singing "Papa Loves Mambo" on 78, 45rpm or even on an LP or compilation. Perry Como Had the first Hit version of "Papa" in 1954 on RCA Victor. Nat "King" Cole also released a popular version around the same time on the Purple Capitol Label; but I have never seen a version by Dean and I have been pursuing and collecting all kinds of 78rpm records for 40+ years. Did you ever see or hear this version? Dean Martin did do a Popular Cover Version of Rosemary Clooney's Hit "Mambo Italiano" in 1955--could that be what you are looking for. No offense--just trying to help out. Best! Mark
I agree- I'm not finding any evidence of this recording either.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Thanks Mark & George for your informative replies, which explains why this title is so elusive. Interesting that I have seen (and heard) it on YouTube, maybe it was just a recording of a live performance somewhere that never made it to a studio pressing.

I’m re-configuring my Wurlitzer 1080 jukebox ahead of my 70th birthday party later this month, and my friends and family are a mixture of gringos and Latinos, so I’m loading up the Mae West with all sorts of oldies with a Latin flair. The “Papa Loves Mambo” would be a great addition. We are expecting about 50 guests, some from as far away as Europe and South America. Mambos, Salsas, Cha-Chas are all mixed in with 1950’s and 60’s American golden oldies, and who can sit still when Xavier Cugat’s “Mambo #5” is blasting out?

Cheers and Happy Holidays to all,

Raphael

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Raphael wrote:Thanks Mark & George for your informative replies, which explains why this title is so elusive. Interesting that I have seen (and heard) it on YouTube, maybe it was just a recording of a live performance somewhere that never made it to a studio pressing.

I’m re-configuring my Wurlitzer 1080 jukebox ahead of my 70th birthday party later this month, and my friends and family are a mixture of gringos and Latinos, so I’m loading up the Mae West with all sorts of oldies with a Latin flair. The “Papa Loves Mambo” would be a great addition. We are expecting about 50 guests, some from as far away as Europe and South America. Mambos, Salsas, Cha-Chas are all mixed in with 1950’s and 60’s American golden oldies, and who can sit still when Xavier Cugat’s “Mambo #5” is blasting out?

Raphael
I just listened to the alleged version of Papa Loves Mambo on YouTube supposedly by Dean Martin. The posting is incorrect. Whoever uploaded it actually uploaded the PERRY COMO VERSION--NOT DEAN MARTIN. IF I were you I would look for a mint copy of the Como version on Ebay. There are usually several 78's of it listed since it sold over 1 million copies. Have a Terrific Birthday and a Wonderful, Blessed Christmas! Mark Roberts

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

marco wrote:
Raphael wrote:Thanks Mark & George for your informative replies, which explains why this title is so elusive. Interesting that I have seen (and heard) it on YouTube, maybe it was just a recording of a live performance somewhere that never made it to a studio pressing.

Raphael
I just listened to the alleged version of Papa Loves Mambo on YouTube supposedly by Dean Martin. The posting is incorrect. Whoever uploaded it actually uploaded the PERRY COMO VERSION--NOT DEAN MARTIN. IF I were you I would look for a mint copy of the Como version on Ebay. There are usually several 78's of it listed since it sold over 1 million copies. Have a Terrific Birthday and a Wonderful, Blessed Christmas! Mark Roberts
Just one last comment. I just listened to every YouTube audio/video that claims to be Dean Martin singing Papa Loves Mambo. They are all wrong-- they are all actually without a doubt Perry Como.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Mark,

You are 100% correct, I just realized that myself when I went back on YouTube to do some research on this.

So, if anybody has an excellent copy of Perry Como doing this song, please let me know.

thanks,

Raphael

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Raphael wrote:Mark,

You are 100% correct, I just realized that myself when I went back on YouTube to do some research on this.

So, if anybody has an excellent copy of Perry Como doing this song, please let me know.

thanks,

Raphael
Happy to help out, Raphael.

AS A BIRTHDAY PRESENT I JUST ORDERED YOU AN EXCELLENT COPY OF THE PERRY COMO 78RPM AND INSTRUCTED THE SELLER HOW TO PACK IT PROPERLY.

Hope that it gets to you in one piece.

Surprise and Merry Christmas also!

Mark Roberts
e-mail: ernestglen@outlook.com (contact me at this e-mail address in case you have any problems with the record.) Will only need photographs sent to me to get a refund if the worst happens and it arrives cracked or broken. Mark

Raphael
Victor IV

Re: FOUND: “PAPA LOVES MAMBO”

Post by Raphael »

Hi Mark,

WOW, I am flabbergasted, many thanks! And to Bob Barnett as well, who also just sent me a copy. You guys are the greatest!

To pass this forward, I'm going to right now send an extra $100 donation to The Salvation Army.

cheers and Merry Christmas,

raphael

marco
Victor II

Re: FOUND: “PAPA LOVES MAMBO”

Post by marco »

Raphael wrote:Hi Mark,

WOW, I am flabbergasted, many thanks! And to Bob Barnett as well, who also just sent me a copy. You guys are the greatest!

To pass this forward, I'm going to right now send an extra $100 donation to The Salvation Army.

cheers and Merry Christmas,

raphael
We are not supposed to brag about our good deeds; but I am so thankful that you will be getting 2 copies of the record. That way you have a 50/50 chance that at least one will arrive in tact. It is always good to have a backup copy of a song you like.