For Sale: New gramophone fibre needles - Various

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

For Sale: New gramophone fibre needles - Various

Post by kirtley2012 »

I am offering new bamboo fibre needles for sale, they come dried and sharpened, ready for use

10 needles - £5
20 needles - £10
50 needles - £20
100 needles - £40

prices in GBP and + postage to anywhere in the world

I have some ready to go, If I don't have many available when ordering, don't worry, you'll get them, though please forgive any delay as I can only do them in spare time

Any questions feel free to ask
DSC02118.JPG

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: For Sale: New gramophone fibre needles - Various

Post by EdisonWizard »

Been wanting to try these. Curious, how many plays do you get out of a needle if I get a cutter? Is it still one play per needle like steel?
J.F.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

EdisonWizard wrote:Been wanting to try these. Curious, how many plays do you get out of a needle if I get a cutter? Is it still one play per needle like steel?
it depends how fine you cut them, on average, I'd say about 10-15, I've got 20+plays out of a fibre before, occasionally you can play multiple sides without re-cutting, it's possible also to sand the tip into a point, meaning a cutter isn't needed, I'm going to do a video on it

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

kirtley2012 wrote:
EdisonWizard wrote:Been wanting to try these. Curious, how many plays do you get out of a needle if I get a cutter? Is it still one play per needle like steel?
it depends how fine you cut them, on average, I'd say about 10-15, I've got 20+plays out of a fibre before, occasionally you can play multiple sides without re-cutting, it's possible also to sand the tip into a point, meaning a cutter isn't needed, I'm going to do a video on it
Oh nice...man I wish I would’ve known before I got that cylinder from you! Could’ve sent together!
J.F.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Are you doing a video on how to use them, sand them, cut them, ect.? I do not know anything about these and would like to know before before purchasing. Also, how much is shipping generally to the U.S?

Thanks,

Travis

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

EdisonWizard wrote:
kirtley2012 wrote:
Oh nice...man I wish I would’ve known before I got that cylinder from you! Could’ve sent together!
Well let me know if you want to try them, shipping isn't too much

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

travisgreyfox wrote:Are you doing a video on how to use them, sand them, cut them, ect.? I do not know anything about these and would like to know before before purchasing. Also, how much is shipping generally to the U.S?

Thanks,

Travis
I've got a video ready, it'll be going up today

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

travisgreyfox wrote:Are you doing a video on how to use them, sand them, cut them, ect.? I do not know anything about these and would like to know before before purchasing. Also, how much is shipping generally to the U.S?

Thanks,

Travis
Here is a quick video regarding sharpening without a needle cutter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiuypyj ... e=youtu.be

The main thing with fibre needles is to keep them dry, I dry them out before sending, but if they get too much moisture that will result in the tip breaking down and distortion of sound, it's recommended to keep them in a sealed air tight jar with silica gel to absorb any moisture

Also, they are best used on cleaner records, fibre needles can vary, some being tougher than others, but all should handle at least one record side, if this is not the case, it could be due to a worn or dirty record

Shipping to the US is £4.90 standard postage, they can be sent economy a little bit cheaper but the transit time jumps up massively

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

kirtley2012 wrote:

Thanks,

Travis
Here is a quick video regarding sharpening without a needle cutter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiuypyj ... e=youtu.be

The main thing with fibre needles is to keep them dry, I dry them out before sending, but if they get too much moisture that will result in the tip breaking down and distortion of sound, it's recommended to keep them in a sealed air tight jar with silica gel to absorb any moisture

Also, they are best used on cleaner records, fibre needles can vary, some being tougher than others, but all should handle at least one record side, if this is not the case, it could be due to a worn or dirty record

Shipping to the US is £4.90 standard postage, they can be sent economy a little bit cheaper but the transit time jumps up massively

Thanks for the video - that seems a much easier way that messing around with razor blades or exacto knives.

I just ordered 50 of these and opted for slightly cheaper, but slower postage - I'm in Nova Scotia, but I think the postage is the same for the US.

I look forward to trying these out next year ... and thanks.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"I look forward to trying these out next year ... and thanks."

You're REALLY going to wait until 2020? :? If it was me, I would use them this year... :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife