FOR TRADE: Prototype Peter Weber Edison 2/4 Minute Triumph

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
long_island_phono
Victor II

FOR TRADE: Prototype Peter Weber Edison 2/4 Minute Triumph

Post by long_island_phono »

I made a post in "Machines" discussing a recent acquisition of what appears to be a patent model designed and presumably built by one of Edison's top phonograph works employees, Peter Weber. I seek a lot but keep little for myself, focusing primarily on the hunt for the rare, the obscure, and the unusual. Today I am offering this phonograph for sale here on the forum, and continuing my quest for more esoteric phonographs and accessories.

Rather than reiterate all of what I wrote in my previous post, I will just briefly describe this machine again, including a link below to my first post.

The salient features of this machine fairly well match those in a patent drawing submitting by Peter Weber in January of 1908 regarding a 2/4 minute gearing attachment for Home and Triumph cylinder phonographs. There are also some curious threaded holes and a distinct lack of a cabinet decal which point to this machine being used to test various attachments and what not. The machine was acquired without a reproducer and an altered formerly-threaded Edison crank, probably fashioned in the decades after it was used in the Edison Phonograph Works.

Original post:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=38121

I am open to trades, or a sale. I am interested in passing this machine along to the next steward and continuing my search for other interesting phonographs and accessories. One thing I have an interest in doing is writing an article for the magazine about this machine, so I would ask any potential buyers to please consider this desire of mine. I am open to discussion regarding the sale of this phonograph.

-Jake
Attachments
peterwebergearing.jpg
IMG_6668.JPG
IMG_6669.JPG
IMG_6670.JPG
IMG_6673.JPG
IMG_6677.JPG
IMG_6679.JPG
Last edited by long_island_phono on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: FOR SALE: Prototype Peter Weber Edison 2/4 Minute Triump

Post by NEFaurora »

Interesting... It utilizes Two separate Feedscrews......One for each different speed...(2M or 4M)...

My question is... Do both Feedscrews use the same Feedscrew Nut (Does it just slide over??...which it looks like it does..) or is there supposed to be a 2nd Feedscrew nut that is also used.....that is currently missing....???!???

Very Interesting machine...!!

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

long_island_phono
Victor II

Re: FOR SALE: Prototype Peter Weber Edison 2/4 Minute Triump

NEFaurora wrote:Interesting... It utilizes Two separate Feedscrews......One for each different speed...(2M or 4M)...

My question is... Do both Feedscrews use the same Feedscrew Nut (Does it just slide over??...which it looks like it does..) or is there supposed to be a 2nd Feedscrew nut that is also used.....that is currently missing....???!???

Very Interesting machine...!!

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

If you look carefully at the feednut bar assembly you will see a smaller 4-minute feednut behind the 2-minute feednut. This machine tracks accurately in both settings.

long_island_phono
Victor II

Re: FOR TRADE: Prototype Peter Weber Edison 2/4 Minute Trium

I am open to offers and trades. I am motivated in moving this phonograph along to the next steward.

-Jake

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Can you shoot a demo movie showing how it works? Would be fun to see and might help your sale. Thanks.

long_island_phono
Victor II

PeterF wrote:Can you shoot a demo movie showing how it works? Would be fun to see and might help your sale. Thanks.
Ok, great idea and I have now made a short demo video which can be viewed at the link below:

https://youtu.be/KPY3Y2z7YTY

2-minute is activated by moving the feed nut assembly all the way forward, engaging 2-minute feed nut with mandrel shaft feedscrew, 4-minute is engaged by moving feed nut assembly all the way back, engaging the secondary 4-minute feedscrew.

-Jake