FOUND: Gothic Period Victrola- Buy or Trade

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

FOUND: Gothic Period Victrola- Buy or Trade

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Looking to buy this rarity in either the narrow or wide body. Open to a trade for it including any Victor Talking Machine Co or RCA Victor Electrola, even the Gothic looking RAE 79.

Photo and info of this machine can be seen at:

http://www.victor-victrola.com/Gothic.htm
Last edited by Victrola-Monkey on Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: WANTED: Gothic Period Victrola- Buy or Trade

Post by Valecnik »

I stumbled across one of these ages ago shortly after starting collecting. It's the most impressive of the period Victrolas in my opinion. It had a unique hammered iron hardware including the key. Sold it several years ago though. :(

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I'll share pictures of one. But it is not for sale. I believe to be the 3rd owner of this machine. It was originally owned by a vice president of Bethlehem Steel. It is serial number 501 and contains the entire set of albums. Sorry for the marginal pictures. Feeling under the weather this weekend.
Attachments
IMG_3322.JPG
IMG_3321.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Oh wow and electric to boot! Does it also have that "hammered iron" gothic style no. 2 reproducer and unique key? Just beautiful!

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Holly cow! :o That looks amazing with the record books looking almost mint. Thank you for sharing such a gorgeous machine.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I'll think of you if I ever come across one of these. Absolutely gorgeous!

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Rare beyond comprehension! This would be the pride of any museum collection.

Bethlehem Steel (or simply "the Steel," as locals refer to it) had a lot of vice-presidents. Do you happen to know the name of the owner? And can you share the later history of this example, including how you came to own it?

The founder of the Bethlehem Steel Corporation was Charles Schwab (absolutely no relation to the later brokerage firm), himself an amateur tenor and lifelong supporter of the Bethlehem Bach Choir. In addition, his mansion in Manhattan, formerly located on Riverside Drive between 73rd and 74th Streets, contained a very impressive pipe organ, and a resident player of same.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Wow, what a great example of the skills of the designers and wood workers at the old Victor Talking Machine Co. Thanks for putting up these pics, and for the answer to my question about the letter sequencing of the albums. I see how this held all 12 inch albums, whereas my Chippendale has the compartment under the speaker where only 10 inch albums will fit.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

PHENOMENAL!!!

Would anyone have a picture of an upright one?

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Skihawx, hope you are feeling better, thanks so much for sharing, and your machine takes my breath away... beautiful!

Zwebie, I’m sure you’ve seen the artist renderings of the uprights on page 34 in the Baumbach’s Victor Data Book. Real pictures and proof they exist would be nice of course.
Last edited by Victrola-Monkey on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.