Interesting Columbia FS in Maine

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Interesting Columbia FS in Maine

Post by phonogal »

I have seen several desks and side table phonographs but haven't seen this one. Looks interesting and the price is right. Wish they had shown the inside works.http://www.reachoo.com/ads/73428200?utm_source=claz

edisonrestorer64
Victor II

Re: Interesting Columbia FS in Maine

Post by edisonrestorer64 »

Marlborough I am about ½ hour from there If I had the room and the$$$ I nab it but I am too poor & no room O well someone will end up with a bargen :)
Hello Check out My you tube channel of Recently restored Phonographs and enjoy
Thanks

New You Tube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrRadioman64

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Haven't seen that one either. A real deal for somebody.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

It should be a radio-phonograph combination.

m0xiemama
Victor II

Post by m0xiemama »

I would be a little skeptical the mechanics are in good shape since they did completely leave out pictures of them... That being said, I would still love to have this piece. I am thinking I better get a small storage locker in RI so I can buy a few things up I see and then take a trip all at once.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

m0xiemama wrote:I would be a little skeptical the mechanics are in good shape since they did completely leave out pictures of them... That being said, I would still love to have this piece. I am thinking I better get a small storage locker in RI so I can buy a few things up I see and then take a trip all at once.
Good point about not showing the mechanism. Makes you wonder if it is there.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

The Columbia Viva-Tonal Combination model 950 is an interesting and scarce machine. Offered in 1928 and 1929, after Columbia's distribution network had practically collapsed, it sold poorly, despite offering good eye-appeal and excellent value.

The radio and 12" dynamic loudspeaker were located behind the doors up in the top of the "Secretary" portion of the desk. The phonograph was in the drawer, leaving the drop-front desk section free for use as a convenient writing desk.

This machine sold for $450.00, about the same price as the Victor Electrola 7-26. The Kolster radio used in the 950 was fully the equivalent of the Radiola 18 in the 7-26, being perhaps a slightly better performer. The amplifier in the 7-26 was an anemic thing, a single '71A tube which put out about ½ watt and drove a rather squeaky little magnetic 100A speaker. The amplifier in the Columbia, on the other hand, included a powerful '50 output tube which put nearly three watts into an excellent electrodynamic speaker.

I have one of these machines, which is missing the phonograph mechanism and the amplifier, and have been searching for these parts for years so that I may complete it.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Hopefully someone will pick it up that knows what it is and it will not become a stripped out, shabby chic horror :cry:

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I emailed the seller today and got additional pictures. When I asked about the radio, I was told there wasn't one. But of course, they didn't open the top doors, so who knows. I'm attaching the pics they sent in case anyone else wants to pursue.

BTW, this is in Massachusetts, not Maine...
Attachments
Picture 786.jpg
Picture 785.jpg