Victor School House phonograph on CL

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Gleemanguy
Victor O

Victor School House phonograph on CL

Post by Gleemanguy »

San Diego Craigs List: Ran across this item this morning. Looks like a reasonable price for a desirable machine. Cut and paste the link to read the listing. http://images.craigslist.org/5Na5E95F53 ... 1d198c.jpg

Date: 2012-09-28, 10:15AM PDT
ktqrk-3302589165@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
we are selling our RCA Victor Masters Voice phonograph, this is a rare "School House model" in very nice condition, has a beautiful oak horn. Turntable spins, We know of one just like ours sold on E-bay for over $5,000. SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY PLEASE. Call Bob @ 949-310-1375 if interested. Thanks

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Victor School House phonograph on CL

Post by brianu »

just a quick comment, because the schoolhouse has always been one of my favorite machines, so I've followed the sales. I don't know of any schoolhouse that sold on ebay for 5000 in the recent past. one has been listed and relisted repeatedly for months for about 7500, but that's not going anywhere. I have seen a couple in decent condition (but needing restoration or one minor part or another) sell for something in the 3000 to 4000 range. I sold mine for about 4500 within the past year, but it was the later version with the correct oversized horn and was one of the nicest I'd ever seen. the photo you've attached isn't the best, but even from that it looks like that one needs some work and lacks the correct larger horn. I don't think 5000 is at all a decent price there. but what do I know? the turntable spins, that's a plus.

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

thanks. I was wrong, the horn looks right. but the elbow may be bent as the horn seems to be hanging a bit low. the reproducer is also wrong, not a victor. the whole thing definitely needs a clean-up. and I'd want to know the condition of the lower shelf, legs and feet, which cannot be seen. also, something looks weird about the key escutcheon, and it's difficult to see whether the pull-out tray is there.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The pull out tray is there, you can see it if you look carefully in the last picture. What should be the key escutcheon actually looks like a crank escutcheon. The horn elbow looks fine to me, I think it's just the angle the photo was taken at. At $2500, I'd say it's a tad high as well, but you never know, it could be a lot nicer in person. The key escutcheon and correct reporducer together wouldn't set you back more than $100-150 tops.

Just my $.02

Sean

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

oh, duh... I was looking at 5000 as the price. 2500 for that is, at least to me, really good, such that I can safely throw out the oft-quoted line, I'd buy it if only it were closer. I would.

rizbone
Victor III

Post by rizbone »

This may be the correct key escutcheon. Some of the later ones have the flat key as opposed to the V key. and that may be the case with this one.

rizbone
Victor III

Post by rizbone »

This may be the correct key escutcheon. Some of the later ones have the flat key as opposed to the V key. and that may be the case with this one.