Very early and interesting Victrola IX for sale - SOLD!!!

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Very early and interesting Victrola IX for sale - SOLD!!!

Post by Jerry B. »

I am selling a very early Victrola IX. The serial number is 22638 and it has quite a few interesting features. It has a Vic III type motor with a course gear spindle and the factory motor packing was never removed. Other horn machine features include the female crank and crank escutcheon. Another interesting feature is the horn. There is no top to the horn so the motor actually sits in the horn. Any noise from the motor came out through the horn along with the music. There must have been a rush to get new models into production as quickly as possible and also to use existing motors to cut costs. It came without an Exhibition reproducer so the cost is only $200. Please email jerry.blais@yahoo.com with any questions or interest. Thanks, Jerry Blais
Attachments
DSC01214.JPG
DSC01223.jpg
DSC01219.JPG
The horn is open from the top to accommodate the depth of the motor.
The horn is open from the top to accommodate the depth of the motor.
Last edited by Jerry B. on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dennman6
Victor I

Re: Very early and interesting Victrola IX for sale - $200

Post by dennman6 »

How odd to see the way the horn is configured in this early VV-IX. But clever! How bad is the motor noise through the horn when playing a record? I have only seen the later VV-IXs, which I must confess are more appealing to me because of the little legs & nice molding around the bottom. They have a more "pedigreed" look, if you will. Those that I've seen usually have the No.2 soundbox, & that is the type I eventually want to get. I have a 1920s mahogany record cabinet that would be a perfect base for one.

I notice you have the VV-IX setting atop an Epson Work Force printer box. A few months ago I bought an Epson Work Force 7510. I specifically chose this model because of its 11.5"x17" scanning bed. This means I can get an excellent nearly full scan of an entire Lp jacket cover or 12" 78 album cover without "stitching" together several images into one. Of course you can also crop the cover image to you heart's content-as was necessary in trying to scan an album cover with most 8.5"x11" scanners. And the unit has a nice complement of "advanced" scanning adjustments, so tweaking is quite easy. Also, it can produce very nice 11"x19" prints, for your own mini-poster projects. The MSRP is about $250 on these, but I got mine from Staples at a sale price of $170. Office Depot also carries them. I'm very happy with the results for my 78/33 album cover projects.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Very early and interesting Victrola IX for sale - $200

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree, the later IX might be more common but it is a very attractive machine. I have one on a tea cart record cabinet and the top of the tea cart is made for the fancy base of the IX. I've always enjoyed the combination. Jerry

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Very early and interesting Victrola IX for sale - SOLD!!

Post by Jerry B. »

Sold! It will be delivered to Union. Union is a great place to buy phonos and many pre-sold items are delivered there. Jerry B.