Columbia 163 parts needed

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Phono48
Victor IV

Columbia 163 parts needed

Post by Phono48 »

I have just managed to buy a Columbia 163 portable gramophone, which is a very rare item here in England. Our equivelant model is the 113A, but there are many differences.
Unfortunately, the pot-metal extension on the back of the soundbox has shattered, and the rubber insulating spacer has perished. The needle pot is also missing. Can anyone tell me where I might get replacements for these, please?

Barry

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Columbia 163 parts needed

Post by epigramophone »

This sounds like the one which sold on eBay recently, as it was probably the only one on offer in the UK.

I was tempted, but I already have it's cousin the Model 220 awaiting attention so talked myself out of taking on another similar project.

I hope one of our American friends can help with the parts you need, as your machine is well worth the effort of restoration.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Yes, it's the very same machine. On the whole, I'm very pleased with it, but it has issues. The motor, which is single-spring Heineman "Flyer", had a broken non-return spring on the winding shaft, and the mainspring had become unhooked from the winding gear. Both these were an easy fix. The cabinet was filthy, and despite much careful cleaning, will never return to the original dark blue colour, but at least all the paint spots came off!
One very disappointing result was that when I tried to get the extensive corrosion off the large sound reflecting wings at the angle of the lid and the base, it soon became apparent that they, along with the trim that runs around the edge of the motor board, and the base of the tone arm, were only thinly brass plated steel, and therefore cannot be properly restored without being replated, which is very expensive! This is only one of the many differences between the 163, and it's British cousin, the 113a, on which these parts are solid brass.The carrying handle is missing, but again, replacements are easy to get, so no problems with that. I can probably overcome the broken pot metal back connector on the soundbox, as this version has a protruding spigot that fits into the arm, unlike the standard No.15 on British models. So I really just need a needle pot.........
I also have a 220 that I restored. Beautiful machines! I now have four "export" model Columbias, and would love to find out more about them, but information is thin on the ground.
Barry

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Have you tried George Vollema at Great Lakes Antigue Phonographs? http://www.victroladoctor.com/
George has enough gramophone parts to fill the Royal Albert Hall, and as the 163 is a reasonably common machine in USA, chances are he'll have what you're looking for.
I've ordered parts from George in the past, and had them here in Australia within a week. I've also found his prices to be very reasonable & what I've bought was far cheaper than buying off ebay.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Here is my "overseas" Columbia G-208. It is not strictly an export model, as expert opinion has suggested that it was made outside the UK. The question is, where? I acquired it from the grand-daughter of the original owner, who had purchased it in Hong Kong in about 1940.

Despite being the subject of a CLPGS magazine article (Winter 2008) no-one has ever come forward to say that they own or have seen another example of this model. It may not be unique, but it is certainly rare.
Attachments
Columbia G-208 001.JPG
Columbia G-208 002.JPG
Columbia G-208 003.JPG

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I have a very similar machine to the 208, except that mine doesn't have the auto- brake selector at the front left. Everything else is the same, but mine has stamped in the lid, in gold, Columbia Grafonola model 204! Surely a mistake, as the 204 was the very common portable made for the home market, and a badge version of the HMV 97. Stranger and stranger!

Barry

PS.I still drool over that article in the CLPGS magazine!

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

gramophoneshane wrote:Have you tried George Vollema at Great Lakes Antigue Phonographs?
No, I haven't, but I certainly will now, thanks!

Barry

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

gramophoneshane wrote:Have you tried George Vollema at Great Lakes Antigue Phonographs?
Many thanks for that link. I have been in touch with George, who was extremely helpful (and patient!) and is now sending me what I need.

Barry