WTB Edison GEM Phonographs

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
flashpanblue
Victor III

WTB Edison GEM Phonographs

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
I am looking for a real nice Edison Model D maroon Gem with matching horn. Also looking for a nice condition Gem model C. email pstratford55@gmail.com
thanks
Pete

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Re: WTB Edison GEM Phonographs

Post by briankeith »

I love Gems. I have four including a maroon and a very early A drip pan. All three are quirky and sometimes slow down near the end of the record. Speed controls are all touchy too.

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

O.K. Now I want one of the early ones too!!! Either the Branded case model or the Drip pan.
The nice thing about Edison Gems is they are like Jello, there is alway room for more!!
Pete

briankeith
Victor IV

Post by briankeith »

You're right Pete - I keep all my Gems on the book shelf except the maroon one due to the big red horn & crane. But honesy, they don't sound very good compared to other Edisons like the Home and Standard, and collectors ask way too much for Gems. There are zillions of nice Gems out there so I can't figure out some the the high asking prices, especially on EBay. Even at the Wayne show - too too much money for Gems. All my Gems are quirky and sorta have a mind of their own, especially when it comes to the speed control problems they all seem to have.
Attachments
GEM.jpg
GEM.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 956 times
phono_8.jpg
phono_8.jpg (39.58 KiB) Viewed 956 times
11450819_1_x.jpg

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Wow!!!! Great looking machines. The maroon gem is really in nice shape. Interesting on the Drip pan Gem how you can see where the mandrel was put together. I would love to have all three of them!
Pete

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

My 2&4 minute Gem B is my phono of choice for every 4th of July. It has just enough power to get through a Blue Amberol. Jerry
Attachments
DSC01053.JPG

briankeith
Victor IV

Post by briankeith »

And a bicycle collector to boot - hey Jerry, I have a bright red and cream colored 1954 Schwinn tandem (bicycle built for two) I am in the process of restoring. My wife put it out on the curb several times but I dragged it back in. Paint work is done and will re-assemble with the re-chromed parts this coming spring. New tires, tubes, wheels, spokes, hubs, Schwinn NOS seats, grips, generator headlamp and tail lamp, NOS Schwinn speedometer, rear Pee-Wee Herman style newspaper baskets, etc, etc, etc. A labor of love because you need to buy / replace everything in pairs! Two of everything.