WTB a Cygnet Horn for a Triumph

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
mattrx
Victor IV

WTB a Cygnet Horn for a Triumph

Post by mattrx »

I recently acquired a Triumph D from a forum member. I would like to install a cygnet horn on the machine. I am looking for a decent cygnet horn to use with it. I have the back bracket, crane, and now need a horn. The paint does not have to be perfect, I am not opposed to repainting a horn that could really use it. I don't want to ruin a good one, and probably could not afford a really good one anyway. I do need both the bell and the elbow. If there are no bites here, I can order a repro one from Wyatt's Musical Americana, but thought I'd check here first.

I am selling a wreath key for a VTLA, and would gladly use it toward a horn if someone needs the key and has an extra horn.

Thanks,

Matt

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Re: WTB a Cygnet Horn for a Triumph

Post by VintageTechnologies »

To be correct, you need an 11-panel horn for a Triumph. Originals are much harder to find and more expensive than the 10-panel horn used on Firesides, Standards and Homes. A replica might the most affordable solution. If money was no object, you could go with a wooden horn.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

If you go with a replica why not woodgrain the horn? They look great. Jerry

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello.
Here is a picture of my Triumph model B with #11 black cygnet horn. The second picture shows my Triumph D2 with Oak music master horn. I agree with Jerry, If you go for a repro #11 then get it wood grained to simulate oak.

Pete
Attachments
IMG_3027.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Here's the E model with a wood grained cygnet.
Attachments
IMG_8209.JPG

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hi Valecnik,
I have to admit that Oak grained horn is so much nicer that a plain old black one.
Pete

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Thanks for all the advice and the impressive pictures of the machines/horns. I have an 11 panel sorted out and will get it in January.

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

I too own a Triumph D; bought mine earlier this year. Spent a lot of the year fussing over it; sending it off to the Victrola Repair guys in Vermont to have the motor cleaned and the detailing restored; getting a good Diamond B reproducer plus a model O for my 2 and 4 minute waxes. Wow, it did cost some $. But for those of us who try to keep our number of hand-crank, acoustical machines to five or less (count on one hand), a decent Triumph that plays 2 and 4 minutes, wax and plastic, means you don't have to have an Amberola AND a wax machine.

I went with Mr. Wyatt as well to get an 11-panel and decided to have it painted black with the gold pinstripes. That suits my taste, but I can understand why people want the wood-grain look.

Can we talk? I got annoyed with the Amberolas (I first owned a 30, then a 50) as their speed control knobs are under the bedplate and can only be accessed by opening the cabinet (necessitating the removal of the crank, etc.). The direct gear drive is nice, but a well-belted machine will drive very evenly too AND you get more versatility (with speeds and kinds of cylinders).

Ralph
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Ralph, I had a standard E, standard B, and a standard C. I got rid of all of them to cover the cost of the Triumph. To me it was well worth it. The machine is of much higher quality in my opinion. Speed adjustment above the bed plate, stronger motor, etc. Mine still needs some cosmetic work, but it plays well. I also acquired an Amberola DX from a family member. It seems 3 generations back, one of my GG Aunt's liked talking machines. The DX is a neat little machine, and to adjust the speed, just lift the front upper grill to get at the adjustment. It is belt driven. I will not be selling it as it will one day go to my daughter, Sophie. I too am trying to keep my home from filling up with phonographs. I have 9 right now and will try to stay at that point for a while.

The horn I am buying is a black repro with the gold accents, 11 panel. I am currently using a witch's hat horn on the Triumph, and while it works, the sound is not nearly as good as the DX. I am hoping the new horn will sound much better. My Triumph has the 45 degree carriage, so a diamond b wont fit it, but the H does a respectable job. I may someday change out the carriage for one that fits the Diamond B, but then I'll have to work out a repro for the 2 min wax that fits that arrangement. So, for now, sticking with the current carriage.