Heads up..$20 Ebay listing for a Granada near Middletown, PA

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Heads up..$20 Ebay listing for a Granada near Middletown

Post by Jerry B. »

I also enjoy the variety of collectors on the Forum and I've seen some extremely fine collections as I've traveled the country. Most of the collections have been put together one machine or brick at a time. Also for the most part, they have been put together by people that had regular jobs such as teachers, state employees, truck drivers, etc. The one thing they've had in common is passion for the hobby. Some of us like to bring back machines that have been neglected to the point of disposal. Others search out the machines in pristine condition. With that said, if you come to Oregon it's been unusually wet and I could use some help polishing the chrome on my machines. Hats off to all of us! Jerry Blais

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I have a high regard to those who will bring back to life, a basket case machine. I call this bringing it back from the dead. Most of my machines are like that. I don't have deep pockets to afford a perfect, pristine machine, so I literally have to build one. I'm on a retirement pension from the VA and Navy. By reading and studying all the available books, it shows me what the machine looks like and what parts to look for. I take great pleasure to restoring a machine back to it's glory at a fraction of the price.
Harvey Kravitz

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Jerry and Harvey, good for you for expending the elbow grease in bringing old pieces back to life.

Bill is killing us here with suspense--hope he's bought that $20 Granada by now.
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

Bill Cahill
Victor O
Personal Text: "Honey, did you warm the baby bottle on my 75 watt hi-fi again?"

Post by Bill Cahill »

pughphonos wrote:Jerry and Harvey, good for you for expending the elbow grease in bringing old pieces back to life.

Bill is killing us here with suspense--hope he's bought that $20 Granada by now.
Not anymore than the dealer is killing me. Apparently, the other gue from this forum, and, someone else asked the same thing of the guy after I did. Now, he's holding back. Sounds like he intends to make this a bidding war...
If so, I will be most unhappy.
I need the other parts as badly as the tone arm, so, even if someone came up with a complete arm fro me, I'd still be short of complting this machine.
Bill Cahill

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

Sorry to hear this! I would be most unhappy, too, if anyone else on this forum jumped in after your interest was clear. Obviously nothing "illegal" about that, but on the other hand it's a matter of sportsmanship.

Jeez, Bill. If the new year sees any additional sources of income for me, damned it all, your Granada project deserves support!
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"

Bill Cahill
Victor O
Personal Text: "Honey, did you warm the baby bottle on my 75 watt hi-fi again?"

Post by Bill Cahill »

Mine isn't the granada, but, thanks. I'll have to post a picture of it here.
I'll be back in a bit with pics of it.
Bill Cahill

I put the gold tone arm on temporarily so I could at least use the machine.
Bill Cahill

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

This one looks like a Victor Consolette, which (with the Granada) was one of Victor's original four orthophonic models. Yours looks like a later edition.

All credit to to the on-line "Victor Victrola" page. Wouldn't it be good if all the brands had such a web site?

Ralph

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

I agree. It is a 4-3 or Consolette. It looks exactly like the one I rehabbed this summer and gifted to my sister in law. The cabinet is in much better shape than mine was. It is a very loud machine. It seems louder than my 8-12, but without nearly the range. All in all, a great little machine for the size and cost. What parts do you need?

This one was for sale on eBay earlier this month and did not sell. The seller is a little further north. You might contact them and see if they still have the machine, they might make a deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victrola-Victor ... 7675.l2557

pughphonos
Victor III

Post by pughphonos »

Funny how that clunker, lidless $20 Granada on e-bay that prompted this long string is STILL out there with 20 hours to go. :lol:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In my other hobby of old cars, it is common practice to use vehicles which are beyond economic restoration as donors to bring better ones back to life. I apply the same principle of recycling to gramophones.

For example, I have been given portables so infested with woodworm that only the case coverings were holding them together. I remove and keep every component for future use, or to help a fellow collector in need.

This "make do and mend" philosophy was ingrained on my parents generation during the privations of World War 2 and inherited by some of my generation.

We are the true Greens.