ERJ Monarch For Sale

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
DrGregC
Victor I

ERJ Monarch For Sale

Post by DrGregC »

With the MME show in Wayne, NJ, coming soon on Sunday, April 14, I thought I would offer a phonograph for sale with free delivery to the Wayne show. I have a really nice, original and complete Eldridge R. Johnson (ERJ) Monarch that I would like to sell. The early design ERJ Monarch was made in small numbers (3500) in 1901 before the incorporation of VTM in October 1901. As the members of this forum, you know the rarity and historical significance of this machine. There are no reproduction parts. The reproducer is a professionally-rebuilt Victor Concert. It appears original to the machine. This is one of several reproducers that would be appropriate for this machine. For an extended discussion of this, refer to the TTMF thread "Correct reproducer for ERJ Monarch?"

Overall, it is a remarkable 112 year-old machine. The motor is clean with sharp gears; a good fiber gear; runs as quiet as I've ever heard these old motors run, i.e., a little noisy. To the best of my knowledge, everything is complete and original, including the original record hold-down and crank - unusual for these machines. According to the collector who sold me the machine in 2005, the bell of the horn was at one time straightened and a light lacquer was applied. He said he stripped the lacquer from the bell of the horn but I think there is still a thin coat of lacquer protecting the support arm. In full disclosure, I have noticed the following:

•Split in motorboard (I've seen this in almost every ERJ Monarch I've seen)
•Stained and partly moth-eaten felt on turntable
•The circular metal plate that supports the motor assembly sits snugly on the wooden motorboard. The original screws are present , but they do not purchase the wood beneath them, i.e., the metal plate is seated fine but the screws do not secure it.
•There are only two screws fastening the bottom board - never touched it since buying it.

The value of these machines is difficult to determine due to their rarity. Watching every ERJ Monarch sold over the last several years, and taking into consideration the excellent original condition and the VTM Concert reproducer, I think $3000 is a fair price. I think my Monarch is a fine specimen of a very old and rare machine. Please PM me if you are seriously interested. I would be happy to answer your questions and provide any additional pictures that you request. Thanks.

Pictures available at: http://sdrv.ms/Wv347C

DrGregC
Victor I

Re: ERJ Monarch For Sale

Post by DrGregC »

With just about 2 weeks until the Wayne show, I would be interested in any reasonable offers for my ERJ Monarch or comments about the machine. Thanks.

DrGregC
Victor I

Post by DrGregC »

1 week until Wayne show. Any offers will be considered. Thanks.

agentcristobal
Victor Jr

Post by agentcristobal »

hi dr. greg:
i would be interested in making an offer, if still available.
i don't know if i'm allowed to put a phone # or email on this site.
thanks,
christopher
no. va

DrGregC
Victor I

Post by DrGregC »

Hi Christopher,

Best way to communicate is through PM (private message) function on TTMF site. After signing in, just click on PM button and send me a message. The machine is still available and looking for a good home. Thanks.

Greg