Brunswick Cortez in PA $325.00

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Brunswick Cortez in PA $325.00

Post by phonogal »

Heads Up. Not mine but would be if I lived closer. http://www.reachoo.com/ads/115322101

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Brunswick Cortez in PA $325.00

Post by OrthoSean »

Wow! I'd love that! A little too far for me, which is probably a good thing...

I hope someone here gets it.

Sean

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

The Cortez is a lovely machine indeed. I wouldn't trade mine for 5 Victor Credenzas. No offense to the many Victor Credenza enthusiasts here. In fact, I have 2 Credenzas myself that I play occasionally - both with nice sounding brass reproducers. I simply prefer the lovely look and bright, crisp sound of the Brunswick Cortez. Mine is a spring motor type which I prefer over the electic model offered above on Craigslist. But if I didn't already have a Cortez I would consider this one especially at that price. Here are a couple of videos of my Cortez playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... vqhU9TEnAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mFmSsD ... detailpage

Doug

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Doug,

Your Cortez was made 130 units after mine. As you mentioned, I too love the clear crisp sound. Looks like a very nice one in PA. These are wonderful machines, someone should grab that one up soon.

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Hi Jerry,

Good to hear from another owner of a Brunswick Cortez. I suspect that these were made in relatively few numbers. I used to be in contact with one other Cortez owner about 20 years ago. His was a spring wind type as well and he was looking to sell it for around $850. He sent me Polaroid pictures [remember those? ;) ] of it along with pictures of a Victor III that he also wanted to sell. I ended up buying the Victor III and passed :cry: on the Cortez. It was a dumb move on my part and when I realized my mistake and contacted him a week later he told me the Cortez was gone. But amazingly, a few years later I was able to find another Cortez (the one I have now) through a friend that was several hours drive away from me and this time I did not hesitate. It is one of my favorite machines for listening. In my opinion, the quality of workmanship in this model is exceptional. The motor is completely silent when running, the large gold plated brass reproducer is outstanding and the lovely walnut cabinet with fluted columns makes for an attractive package. I think it would be great if someone here grabs this one as well.

Doug

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

The Brunswick, Victor Orthophonic and Columbia VivaTonal machines all have their own individual sound. I have owned a Columbia 800, now have a Victor 8-30, and have spent time seriously listening to a friend's Brunswick Seville. Each has its own individual sound and I don't feel that one is necessarily better than another, just different. Personal preference may come into play here also. That said, I agree that the Brunswicks are excellent sounding machines.

Jim