SPRING SALE - very special discs SOLD

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

SPRING SALE - very special discs SOLD

Post by Roaring20s »

all SOLD

Image Image
Ultimate Eye Candy
Aeolian Vocalion, 22024
Allied National Airs
There's a Long, Long Road
Fine Groove, Vertical Cut, E++
SOLD

Image Image
ImageImage
1932 (9.5")
Chevrolet Dealer Record
Hit of the Week, X304 in dead wax
Some Important Facts About The New Chevrolet Six
Starts and ends with several bars of Happy Days Are Here Again,
small edge flakes, two small surface scratches, E- to E
SOLD
The article and Ad Age info leads me to think that the distribution of these Dealer records could have been limited to the 10,000 dealerships that received posters.

Image Image
Image Image
1934 (12")
Fox Movietone Record, CS 84501
Red Label Series Advertising the Fox Picture, Caravan
The noted visual scuffing does not affect play, visual V+, audio E-
It is an audio movie trailer. The narrator provides a synopsis of the film, announces its director, the stars, and previews three songs. It ends with him saying, "Watch for Caravan at your favorite theater."
SOLD
Thanks to Kurt Nauck for this reply to my 2009 query: This is a movie exploitation disc. Most of these were made for radio broadcast. I don't recall seeing a 12" red label variety of this label; they are more commonly typical 10" 78 issues.

ImageImage
New Singers (American Communist)
Timely Records
The Soup Song, E
United Front, E
SOLD

Thanks,
James
Last edited by Roaring20s on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:22 am, edited 7 times in total.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: SPRING SALE - very special discs

Post by Roaring20s »

Here is information I gathered from the internet relateted the Soup Song record.

The Soup Song was born out of labor strikes, union organization and the great depression. The target audience was the disenfranchised. As with other songs like it, it used a recognizable melody with new lyrics. My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean is its familiar tune. The message was that for all your obedient labors, for all of your sacrifices, and all of your savings and prayers, all you have ended up with is a bowl of soup from the soup kitchens. Its purpose was to sway this group to left wing ideals. Maurice Sugar, a Detroit labor attorney, composed this in 1931 after a talk he gave at a homeless shelter there.

The Timely Recording Company of N.Y.C. produced the first labor songs connected to the Communist Party. This is one of those records. There are two other discs in this set of proletarian song released in 1935 and sung by the New Singers. The Party never took an official stand on the role of folk music in promoting its goals. Another Timely set of (3) labor folk song recordings was released in 1937 and sung by the Manhattan Chorus.

The flip side's imagery was obviously selected to further rally against the growth of Fascism in Europe. The song mentions various oppressions, but the rally call is to Go Left. The score's composer is Hanns Eisler, a German Marxist who came to the USA in 1933 fleeing Nazi Germany. Later in film he was twice nominated for an Oscar for best score. The first to be blacklisted in Hollywood, he was deported to East Germany in 1948. The lyrics to United Front was penned by playwright Berthold Brecht, who also fled Germany in 1933 over his Communistic works. Actor Peter Lorre studied under Brecht.

Also look at my other offerings...
SPRING SALE - discs
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12433
SPRING SALE - ephemera and such
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12431