VE 10-35 X

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
schweg
Victor III

VE 10-35 X

Post by schweg »

I'm interested in buying a lid, back covers, and possibly a grill w/ fabric if anyone has them available.

Thanks- Steve

Garret
Victor IV

Re: VE 10-35 X

Post by Garret »

I'm hopeful for you! Please keep us posted on your efforts to restore such a nice and rare Victrola!

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Huge thanks to Garret for providing contact with a seller who had a cabinet for sale that has all the parts I need to get the machine I have in nice condition. Plus, only 2 hrs drive, that's a walk in the park compared to some treks I've made.

Participation in this forum has led to so much learning, enjoyment, and, in this case, help with a project, that I can't imagine not having this resource.

Thanks again Garret!

Steve

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Steve, I'm glad you got the parts you need. Now be prepared for several hours of intriguing/maddening changer adjustments! I'd suggest having a helper in removing the mechanism-it weighs a full sixty pounds! They're remarkable beasts once they've been tamed!
Here's an interesting essay by Greg Bogantz:

http://myvintagetv.com/updatepages1/103 ... r_1035.htm

Also, if cleaning the rubber turntable doesn't provide enough "grab" to throw the record you can try what I've used: "Golf Tac" available at sport stores.

Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Thank you Bob (and Greg) for some interesting reading!
Steve, best of luck completing your machine!
Gene

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Here are pics of the twins. Work is so busy that I don't know when I'll get it all fixed up but I wanted to show where it is right now.
P1010026.JPG
P1010023.JPG
P1010022.JPG
P1010024.JPG
P1010025.JPG

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

It looks like your donor machine may never have been recalled for changer modifications, judging by the three holes on the front panel in the upper grill area. Obviously the changer was replaced by something later, so there won't be much pain in taking useable parts for the other. The rubber bumpers in the record discard bin were rock-hard in mine. I used an appropriate size auto radiator hose cut to length for replacements. They look and work fine.
Bob

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Steve,

It looks like you are going to be able to make a nice 10-35 out of these two cabinets! I can't wait to see the end results! :D

Garret

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

barnettrp21122 wrote:It looks like your donor machine may never have been recalled for changer modifications, judging by the three holes on the front panel in the upper grill area.
Bob
I think the third hole was added during the remodel. An original changer before the recall would have had a manual/automatic switch and a repeat control.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Skihawx wrote:
barnettrp21122 wrote:It looks like your donor machine may never have been recalled for changer modifications, judging by the three holes on the front panel in the upper grill area.
Bob
I think the third hole was added during the remodel. An original changer before the recall would have had a manual/automatic switch and a repeat control.

No,the original changer design had the three-hole panel with the repeat knob in the center. Any early changers going through the recall ended up with the two-button panel. I think the pictured donor machine simply missed being recalled.
This link has some very interesting information about this and other early changers:
http://myvintagetv.com/updatepages1/103 ... r_1035.htm

Bob