WTB Vic 2 tone arm

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
bingchen1
Victor O

WTB Vic 2 tone arm

Post by bingchen1 »

title pretty much says it all. Looking for a tone arm for Vic II Pst with price or post here.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: WTB Vic 2 tone arm

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Which Vic II tone arm? I recall that at least four or five variations were used over the long production run of "Victor the Second".

bingchen1
Victor O

Post by bingchen1 »

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Uncle Vanya wrote:Which Vic II tone arm? I recall that at least four or five variations were used over the long production run of "Victor the Second".
4 or 5 variations...??. I never knew that. AFAIK, there were 2 types. Maybe 3. Here are the two for later models (like in the photo).
Victor 2 Arms (1).JPG
Victor 2 Arms (2).JPG
Victor 2 Arms (3).JPG

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Well there is the Rigid Arm, which was used on the earliest Victor II machines, there is the little 1" arm which was shared with some Victor I machines, there is the 1 ⅜" arm, as pictured in your upper fitted WITH the cross-bar (as used in 1911-14 examples) Then of the ball-bearing arms there are three different versions, the first using the conventional Victor goose-neck, the second using the late style goose-neck with the small screw, and the final unit (which is believed to have been used only on those final few machines which were assembled in 1925 for shipment to Mexico)used the "t" shaped goose-neck fitting, in the manner of Victrola VI machines with serial numbers above 685,000 or so.

The machine in the photo above appears to date from the 1912-15 period, in which case it would share the same arm with the contemporary Victrola IV and Victrola VI. Does it have the cross-bar" Some of these units with the slip-in elbow did, and others use the ball-bearing assembly.

I won't be home for about a week or so, but if you haven't found an arm by then I probably have one for you. The difficulty is finding an arm which doesn't have the typical dents caused by bashing the arm against its overhang support.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Uncle Vanya wrote:Well there is the Rigid Arm, which was used on the earliest Victor II machines, there is the little 1" arm which was shared with some Victor I machines, there is the 1 ⅜" arm, as pictured in your upper fitted WITH the cross-bar (as used in 1911-14 examples) Then of the ball-bearing arms there are three different versions, the first using the conventional Victor goose-neck, the second using the late style goose-neck with the small screw, and the final unit (which is believed to have been used only on those final few machines which were assembled in 1925 for shipment to Mexico)used the "t" shaped goose-neck fitting, in the manner of Victrola VI machines with serial numbers above 685,000 or so.

The machine in the photo above appears to date from the 1915-19 period, in which case it would share the same arm with the contemporary Victrola IV and Victrola VI.

I won't be home for about a week or so, but if you haven't found an arm by then I probably have one for you. The difficulty is finding an arm which doesn't have the typical dents caused by bashing the arm against its overhang support.
Agreed if you are counting from the beginning of production and not just "tappered arms" of later design. I have never seen a marked Vic.II with a 1" arm. Only "E" marked machines. If so, that is news to me. I also agree finding the arm needed "without" the bracket dents will be hard.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I've looked at the above photos and I believe the arm that flares out at the big end was used on a Victrola. If you look at the photo with the big end facing down there is a mark on the body of the arm where the Exhibition rested. Of course the U-tube would have been mounted from the other side. That tone arm was used on a Victrola not a Vic II. Jerry

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Jerry B. wrote:I've looked at the above photos and I believe the arm that flares out at the big end was used on a Victrola. If you look at the photo with the big end facing down there is a mark on the body of the arm where the Exhibition rested. Of course the U-tube would have been mounted from the other side. That tone arm was used on a Victrola not a Vic II. Jerry
Might be time for some new glasses Jerry.... :lol:. If you looked close you can see the reproducer mark on the "top" part of the arm. I believe this arm was off a very late Vic.2. In fact, I took it off one... :lol:.
Victor 2 Arms (1).JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Before I make a statement that the arm was on a Victrola, I would love to see a photo of a Vic II that used a flared tone arm. It must be a very late machine that utilized parts common to Victrolas manufactured at that time. I suspect that's the case and such a machine would represent a very small percentage of total production. Didn't the vast majority of Vic II's use the same tone arm? Jerry

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

gramophone78 wrote:
Uncle Vanya wrote:Well there is the Rigid Arm, which was used on the earliest Victor II machines, there is the little 1" arm which was shared with some Victor I machines, there is the 1 ⅜" arm, as pictured in your upper fitted WITH the cross-bar (as used in 1911-14 examples) Then of the ball-bearing arms there are three different versions, the first using the conventional Victor goose-neck, the second using the late style goose-neck with the small screw, and the final unit (which is believed to have been used only on those final few machines which were assembled in 1925 for shipment to Mexico)used the "t" shaped goose-neck fitting, in the manner of Victrola VI machines with serial numbers above 685,000 or so.

The machine in the photo above appears to date from the 1915-19 period, in which case it would share the same arm with the contemporary Victrola IV and Victrola VI.

Agreed if you are counting from the beginning of production and not just "tappered arms" of later design. I have never seen a marked Vic.II with a 1" arm. Only "E" marked machines. If so, that is news to me. I also agree finding the arm needed "without" the bracket dents will be hard.
The Victor E was listed in Victor literature as "Victor II" when it was fitted with a rear mount, just as the Royal and Z were "Victor I", the Monarch was "Victor III",the MS "Victor IV and the D was called "Victor the Fifth".

The dents which appear in the tone arms of the small Victrola machines are quite different in depth, appearance and position from those which appear on open horn machines. When the "Victrola (overhang support) dents" appear on the tone arm of an open horn machine one can be pretty certain that the machine is more or less an assembled piece, so of course it it always worth the effort to find a better tone arm sans dents.