Who is "collectorsmachines" on eBay?

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
2Bdecided
Victor I

Who is "collectorsmachines" on eBay?

Post by 2Bdecided »

This seller has been on eBay for a long time. I think they used to be "old-technics", but I could be confusing them with someone else.

The reason I ask is because I've always been amazed at how minimal their descriptions are!

I didn't think their photographs could get any worse either, but now...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Edison-2-4-mi ... 1016216421
...you can play a little game: spot the phonograph amongst the clutter.

It almost makes me long for the days of the blue chair! ;)

No offence intended. They're obviously running a successful business judging from the prices they raise. I just don't understand how such minimal descriptions and photos attract such high bids (or any bids). Do people view in person, or trust the seller? Or not care about condition? (You can't figure it out from the listings!)

Cheers,
David.

Ian
Victor O

Re: Who is "collectorsmachines" on eBay?

Post by Ian »

I won't mention names on a public forum, but for many years he ran a well known shop in north west London. The name of this forum incorporates the name of that shop. You can probably work it out from that. ;)
Last edited by Ian on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

It's David Smith, formerly "oldtecnics", so yes, you were right all along! ;) Why the secrecy? David is well known to many collectors and hardly keeps his business secret. Anyone who bids and buys his items will get an eBay message with his name. Businessmen want their names to be known, don't they?

I don't think some people care about condition at all. If you read the sale / auction reviews in "For The Record", the condition of items rarely gets a mention. You can't compare two identical machines and the prices they realise over a 10 year period if you choose to ignore the condition. Tatty items, and there are many such purveyors of tat in the UK, rarely achieve high prices. Good stuff generally does. Some buyers obviously just want "X" or "Y" irrespective of the condition and subscribe to the philosophy that condition doesn't matter so long as you have the item in your collection.

It is disappointing to read how a price realised is "typical" of a lack of enthusiasm for that item today when in reality the truth is something far different. I can sell anything in pristine condition to people who aren't even collectors! I couldn't sell them tat like a legless Bassanophone though. They'd run for the exits after falling about on the floor with laughter.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I have bought recently cylinders and discs from David, with good experience.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I too have bought a few portables over the years from this seller, and have been pleased with all of them. The first one I bought on trust, due to the usual minimum description. It turned out to be fine, so since then I have trusted the seller, with no regrets. My last purchase was a Columbia 113a, and the photos clearly showed a few old wormholes. He could easily have turned it round so the holes didn't show, but he didn't, therefore I'd have no hesitation buying from him again.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

As Steve pointed out , David Smith is a well known seller of Talking machines and other related mechanical collectables. In my experience, David is a reliable and trustworthy buyer and seller -- the reason for the minimal descriptions ? Buyer makes his own mind up as to condition , originality , colour match , desirability , --- need I go on ? After all , its the same in a public auction -- the buyer decides all these questions BEFORE they decide to bid -- why does anyone need Nanny to make decisions for them ?
If you buy from Dave Smith , you get what you see -- which is what buying and selling is really all about -- or should be !