FOUND: Pending- Door hardware for VV8-12

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

FOUND: Pending- Door hardware for VV8-12

Post by DGPros »

I thought I only needed the left door hardware, but after some extensive cleaning, it seems I need 2. The right knob went from black to copper. :?
Attachments
20150617_190353.jpg
Last edited by DGPros on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: Wanted: Door hardware for VV8-12

Post by De Soto Frank »

You can get chemical solutions to darken the brass / bronze... someone around here will know a source...
De Soto Frank

mattrx
Victor IV

Re: WANTED: Door hardware for VV8-12

Post by mattrx »

My 8-12 has the "antique bronze" finish on the interior parts, and he knobs are the same finish. If you cleaned them too extensively, they will then just look like the brass underneath the original finish. I've read here on the forum somewhere about darkening the look back toward its original color with an acid wash.

My recent 8-35 purchase had a tone arm that had been cleaned too extensively and it looked almost gold. The previous owner thought the dark color was dirt or tarnish. The knobs, crank, hinges - all metal parts- had the antique bronze finish. Only the tone arm looked different after the "cleaning".

Matt

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

That's interesting. The middle knobs have a gold look while the outer , larger knob, has a copper look. It didn't take much to rub the darkness off them so I assumed it was 90 years of crud. Are all yours the same size? Thanks for the info.
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

All the knobs on mine are the same size, color and pattern. I am away from home right now, but will be home Sunday. I'll check my parts-I am sure I have one or two of these knobs. I bought a "LOT" of parts via eBay a while back and there were some of these in the lot.

Matt

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Thanks Matt I appreciate that.
Frederic Bastiat

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

We got home late tonight instead of tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics. One of the knobs I have and one of my machine. Hope this helps. PM me if you need any of the 3 knobs.
Thanks,
Matt
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

PM sent.

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

mattrx wrote:My 8-12 has the "antique bronze" finish on the interior parts, and he knobs are the same finish. If you cleaned them too extensively, they will then just look like the brass underneath the original finish. I've read here on the forum somewhere about darkening the look back toward its original color with an acid wash.

My recent 8-35 purchase had a tone arm that had been cleaned too extensively and it looked almost gold. The previous owner thought the dark color was dirt or tarnish. The knobs, crank, hinges - all metal parts- had the antique bronze finish. Only the tone arm looked different after the "cleaning".

Matt
Since my tone arm and other parts are gold I just assumed the knobs would be also. It seems though, as far as I can see in pictures, that the knobs are more of antique bronze.
Frederic Bastiat