SOLD: Rare Gov't Seized Jolson Post Office Poster - $150

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
outune
Victor IV

SOLD: Rare Gov't Seized Jolson Post Office Poster - $150

Post by outune »

Any Jolson fans out there? In 1977, the US Postal Service published a 13 cent stamp commemorating the 50th anniversary of Talking Pictures. Along with the release of the stamp, an advertising poster that was intended to hang in post offices, was created. The poster depicted Al Jolson in black-face with his arms spread wide, under the words "You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet". Within a few days of it's release there were numerous complaints about the black-face pose and the poster was recalled and destroyed. Few have survived.

I obtained a copy from a fellow collector many years ago. This one has several wrinkles (as pictured) that may smooth out with better framing.

Along with the framed poster, I have a (poor) copy of a couple newspaper clippings that explain the controversy, as well as a complete original "Antique Phonograph Monthly" magazine which features the poster on the cover, along with a short description of this short-lived poster. In the pictures, the small white line on the right side is a reflection of an overhead light in another room.

I will sell the poster and the magazine/articles for $150 with free delivery to the Wayne, NJ show this weekend, or to the Charlotte, NC show next spring.

I have numerous other Jolson items--including an autographed Little Wonder #20. If interested, please inquire.

Thanks-
Brad Abell
Attachments
img105.jpg
img106.jpg
DSCN0028.JPG
DSCN0029.JPG
DSCN0030.JPG
DSCN0031.JPG
Last edited by outune on Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: Rare Gov't Seized Jolson Post Office Poster $

Post by gramophone78 »

Great poster and very rare. I just wish it was closer. A member should be all over this.

outune
Victor IV

Re: FOR SALE: Rare Gov't Seized Jolson Post Office Poster $

Post by outune »

Thanks Wayne-- I appreciate your interest and concern about shipping to Canada and exchange rates-- Sometimes things just don't work the way we'd like.

Thanks!

Brad

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: SOLD: Rare Gov't Seized Jolson Post Office Poster $150

Post by gramophone78 »

I didn't think this would last long. I thought I would add this for the new owner to keep with their new and very rare poster. I only know of five counting this one.
Toledo Blade Oct. 23 1977.jpg
Toledo Blade Oct. 23 1977.jpg (123.19 KiB) Viewed 567 times

outune
Victor IV

Re: SOLD: Rare Gov't Seized Jolson Post Office Poster $150

Post by outune »

Thanks Wayne for adding the additional newspaper clipping-- I knew the poster was rare, but didn't know their number might be counted on two hands. I'm happy to report that Jolie was delivered to a friend of his new owner at the Wayne Phono show this past weekend. I'm sure Mr. Jolson will be happy in his new home! :)

Thanks--

Brad Abell