WANTED: Lid for Victor Victrola IX in tiger oak

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
kmiskimon

WANTED: Lid for Victor Victrola IX in tiger oak

Post by kmiskimon »

I'm currantly looking for a lid for my tabletop Victor Victrola IX. It is done in tiger oak, and if this is helpful to anyone, I have the following information:

VV-IX 79359 D

The lid itself is about 16" wide x 20" deep

If anyone has one that is willing to sell, please contact me at kirk.miskimon@gmail.com

with price and shipping costs to Maryland zip code 21085

Thanks in advance

Kirk

JohnM
Victor V

Re: WANTED: Lid for Victor Victrola IX in tiger oak

Post by JohnM »

Kirk,
Not trying to sound officious or know-it-all, but the term 'tiger oak' is what I call an 'auctioneer's term', meaning that it is a descriptive term that is more sensational than accurate. The correct term for highly figured oak is 'quarter-sawn'. If you Google the term, you'll probably find sawing diagrams that show the difference between plain-sawn, rift-sawn, and quarter-sawn. Quarter-sawing is the most wasteful -- and thus the most expensive way to saw oak. It reveals the most grain pattern because of the way it cuts the medullary rays of the grain at a 45-degree angle. 'Tiger oak' is a figure of speech -- you are talking about quarter-sawn.

Also, Victor produced Victrolas in a number of oak finishes. Go to http://www.victor-victrola.com and look at the section on finishes. You will need to determine which oak finish your Victrola has before we can help you look for the proper lid.

Kind regards,

John M.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

kmiskimon

Re: WANTED: Lid for Victor Victrola IX in tiger oak

Post by kmiskimon »

Hi John
Thank you for pointing me in the proper direction with the terminology quarter sawn and "tiger oak". And no, you don't sound like a know-it-all to me. :) At a second glance of my posting, it did come off sounding very vague, so I completely understand your reason to point that out.
But to be specific I am looking for a lid that is made from quarter sawn oak. As I can see on the rest of the machine, this looks pretty well like golden oak finish and from what I can determine, it looks like standard golden oak. (It does have a bit of a shine, but not very glossy, of course this just could be due to age).

Thanks again

Kirk