FOR SALE: New Columbia 20th Century (6" long) cylinder - $90

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
billybob62
Victor III

Re: FOR SALE: New Columbia 20th Century (6" long) cylinder -

Post by billybob62 »

I also think that making this cylinder is critical to getting more 3 minute cylinders for the Columbias in the future. This is not a good time to be dithering over what if or I'd rathers.
I think that those who buy this Popeye will be glad they did.
Just do it.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

billybob62 wrote:I also think that making this cylinder is critical to getting more 3 minute cylinders for the Columbias in the future. This is not a good time to be dithering over what if or I'd rathers.
I think that those who buy this Popeye will be glad they did.
Just do it.
Agreed.

Bill

phonopal
Victor Jr

Post by phonopal »

I did end up ordering a second copy from Norman today. I'm hoping that this will help to make his efforts worthwhile and not just allow him to break even with this project. The more sales that Norman is able to secure right now, the more chances we get of having him release a second selection on this format someday.

Good news come in pairs, for Norman says that Vulcan is now considering to add a second 6-inch "period selection" to their catalogue.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

That is good news! :D

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Friends, I wanted to thank you for your support. The production will be started very soon. Right now, preparations for the special custom-made blanks are in progress. Peter will keep you up to date. Thanks again!

phonopal
Victor Jr

Post by phonopal »

Thank YOU Norman - you rock!

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Here is a moldy real one that sold the other day for $130, and is probably unlistenable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201776965694

We made a couple of extra copies of our new cylinder, in case anyone has changed their mind or would otherwise be interested in obtaining one. View the earlier messages in this string as well as here for more info, then PM me with your interest.

Norman tells me production is proceeding on schedule and that the preliminary results are excellent.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I've just gotten a progress report from Norman, who tells me the test pressings have been largely successful, but with a few places where the sound levels need adjustment. Thus we can expect a delay of perhaps 2-3 more weeks.

In the meantime, the box label design is almost complete. It's quite beautiful, being a slight update and modification of the original. We will be providing the end cap, lid, and cap label unattached, in order to give the buyer the option of using original gray-blue Columbia caps and lids, gluing them to the box, and gluing the new label to the lid. Original lids and end caps from commonly found standard Columbia cylinder boxes are the same and will fit perfectly.

We've seen three or so original 20th Century 6" cylinders pop up on ebay over the past few weeks, all fetching a pretty penny...more expensive, less listenable, and far more fragile that the impending new ones...so if you're at all interested in one of the new ones, act now, for the window for ordering will very soon be closed forever.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Have a look at the cool box design, and a progress update, here:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 4&start=30

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Major update! The actual records are now being produced! :)

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 05#p180905