FOR SALE: New Columbia 20th Century (6" long) cylinder - $90

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
PeterF
Victor IV

Re: FOR SALE: New Columbia 20th Century (6" long) cylinder -

Post by PeterF »

Sorry, I guess I was unclear, Doug.

There is no expectation for a non-collector to want to purchase one of these (or any other cylinder for that matter).

The idea is that when your 16 year old nephew comes over and is showing interest and he says "what about that machine with the weird longer mounting place for the record?" and all you have to show him is some horrid ballad, a banjo solo, Uncle Josh, a Sousa march, or just about anything else authentic to the period, he is bored, and disengages, and maybe we've lost a future collector.

As I said earlier, and you quoted in your reply, we probably all have plenty of period-authentic content if we want to subject ourselves to it. But that doesn't have to apply to this record, which is for fun and technical demonstration, and so does not need to be boring (yes, I know not everything from the era is boring!).

We can all see the appeal of matching up media to machine, only playing Victor scrolls on Orthophonic Victrolas, 5000 cylinders only on Amberolas 30s, 50s or 75s, Berliner discs only on one of our several Trademarks (don't we all have at least 3 or 4?), lightning-bolt Brunswicks only on Panatropes, 52000 diamond discs only on Edisonics, and so forth. It's the authentic experience, and generally the media and machine are designed to be compatible with each other and good performance results. Totally cool and it's lots of fun to do that if your collection has that breadth.

I have a few Berliners, and can play them on an early Victor R with a Concert reproducer. They sound terrible, but authentic, even though I'm probably damaging these now-valuable records with each additional play. They really aren't interesting to listen to, except as a novelty, and so I only play them as a demonstration when a visitor is here. I could play those discs on my Credenza too (or a modern turntable and amp), and although they would sound better, they still aren't very interesting to hear - so I don't.

And I wouldn't ever try playing my copy of Victor 25371 or another Victor scroll on the R either, because although I like the record it would sound horrible, which is no fun. I play it on my Credenza. And the difference is, that I like that record and listen to it often just for my personal enjoyment of the content as well as appreciation of the recording and playback system used, and that's fun.

That's the purpose of this demonstration record as well.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Peter,
I agree with you 100 per cent which is why I would like to get a movement going to produce a cylinder that young people would like for a standard Edison such as At The Jazz Band Ball with everybody's favorite Bix Beiderbecke.
Last edited by billybob62 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I'm not trying to influence anyone, but simply sharing my perspective. Vive la difference!

If I'm demonstrating for a 16 year old (or any non-collector for that matter), my belief is that "shorter is generally better." If we have all these 4" Edison Billy Murrays, Ada Jones, Collins & Harlan, and Blue Amberols of fun music - to say nothing of Victor scrolls - why would we necessarily choose a B-series Graphophone, and why use the 6" (longer) format on it?

If a non-collector asks about the longer mandrel, the explanation is easy: "This was an interesting dead-end. Columbia was the first to make a longer-playing cylinder record available to the general public. Their 6-sinch cylinders played 3 minutes compared to Edison's 2 minutes. But you had to buy a machine that could play them. 3 years after Columbia brought these out, Edison introduced a 4 minute cylinder and accessory kits so that any older Edison Phonograph could play them. That pretty much killed off the Columbia Twentieth Century cylinders and production stopped after only 4 years."

Is it necessary or wise to play a 3 minute cylinder for a non-collector? Again, my usual tactics are based on "Keep it short and varied." By following the logic of a demonstration record on an exotic format, it might make sense to record Livery Stable Blues on a Lioret cylinder. To my mind, such logic is on the way to Route 66 by Percy Faith on brown wax. Now, some might like that and I have no beef with them. It's a free country. But for those of us who are focused on the history of these machines and records, such ventures will probably not be satisfying.

I'm not so much a purist that I'd draw the line at a selection that was never offered on the 6" cylinder format. I think it would be great to have an entertaining selection (such as a rag or humorous song) transferred from a period disc to a 6" cylinder - as long as it was historically appropriate. I take pleasure in spotting anachronisms in movies based in particular historical eras. I consider them "mistakes." But I wouldn't want to see/hear such things in my collection.

Again, I want to be clear: this is just one collector's opinion. It's no more valid than another's, but it might help some to understand why the current plan discussed in this thread is not finding wider acceptance. I hope those who want Bix on a 6" cylinder can make it work out.

Best to all,
George P.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Nice response George, and I see your point on demos, and appreciate your examples as extremes. Seems to me I've seen Elvis Presley content dubbed onto cylinders offered on ebay, and stuff like that, and find it silly. Perhaps we can think of this one more along the lines of a 3-minute 5000 series blue amberol, but yeah, it's still incorrect.

Anyway, yes, we can each choose how we will proceed.

Thanks.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You bet, Peter. Good luck! :)

George P.

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

If I had something to play a 6" cylinder, I'd definitely buy one.

Can you make them in a blue amberol format? ;)
Vince
Youtube

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Well, that's the thing. You never know when you might find a machine that will.

And by then it will be a lot harder to find one of the ten demo cylinders that we make now...

I'm lucky enough to have two such machines, and did not really seek them as such; the automatic phono radar (magnet?) that seems to develop in our type took care of that. You may be surprised by how soon one could show up.

Just sayin'

phonopal
Victor Jr

Post by phonopal »

Getting just about any song released on an indestructible cylinder of this format would be great! I'd be glad to get a copy of Barnacle Bill should it ever get released, although I must admit that I'd much prefer to see some ragtime tune or other typical selection from the 1905-10 era released first... How about getting Norman's input on this matter? There are way more chances of getting something released on this format if he believes that the title selected will be selling more than 10 copies... and he's in a good position to know what might sell.

Wouldn't songs such as the following ones spark the interest of all generations? Hello Ma Baby... Who Threw the Overalls in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder... Everybody's Doin' It Now... Come Josephine in my Flying Machine... or some ragtime compositions such as Black and White Rag, The Entertainer or Maple Leaf Rag. The list could go on and on of course...

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:I'm not trying to influence anyone, but simply sharing my perspective. Vive la difference!

If I'm demonstrating for a 16 year old (or any non-collector for that matter), my belief is that "shorter is generally better." If we have all these 4" Edison Billy Murrays, Ada Jones, Collins & Harlan, and Blue Amberols of fun music - to say nothing of Victor scrolls - why would we necessarily choose a B-series Graphophone, and why use the 6" (longer) format on it?
i definitely agree that for most demonstrations to newbies a two minute record is great, about the max time you can hold their attention. I'll usually try a march because I just think everyone should like a good march. :D

Of course i know that's not true but they are also very well recorded.

With Norman involved in your project it will be done well and the result will be fantastic. I must have over a dozen of his recordings.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

A 2 minute cylinder could be played on all machines but, alas, the "Hot" numbers, which would stoke the fires of a 16 year old, are mostly on 4 minute cylinders.
I would have no objection to having a less than 4 but more than 3 minute tune on a standard Edison Amberol type cylinder.