WANTED - Blue Amberol 5704 - Button Up Your Over Coat

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
12jslater
Victor II

WANTED - Blue Amberol 5704 - Button Up Your Over Coat

Post by 12jslater »

As far as I know it exists from checking an index of blue amberols but I can find barely any evidence of its existence however it is my favourite Edison recording ever.

I want a copy but even someone who has even just info on the cylinder would be much appreciated

Thanks, Jake

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: WANTED - Blue Amberol 5704 - Button Up Your Over Coat

Post by marcapra »

This song by the California Ramblers, called the Golden Gate Orch. on the label, exists on Diamond Disc 52513 with I Want to Be Bad on the flip side, and Edison Needle Cut records, N710, as well as on Blue Amberol. It would be fairly hard to get this record on Diamond Disc, but to get the original Blue Amberol would be extremely difficult and expensive. Blue Amberols in the 5700's are extremely rare and extremely expensive, as cylinder records were not selling well at all by the late 1920s! Also the sound on a Diamond Disc or the Needle Cut format would be better because they were directly recorded rather than dubbed as on the Blue Amberols.

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

In my collecting heyday, I owned a number Golden Gate discs.
During the height of the market, I sold a duplicate copy of the Charleston for $350.
"Five Foot Two Eyes of Blue" was another '20's anthem by GGO, that I was glad to own.
"Button Up Your Overcoat" was one of the only Golden Gate discs I could not find at a reasonable price.
I vaguely remember a copy selling on eBay for $400+.
I've never seen the cylinder version for sale!!!!

Gene

phonospud
Victor I
Personal Text: Expert antique musical box & phonograph repairs for 40 years

Post by phonospud »

I bid on a copy of this cylinder on eBay over 16 years s ago to over $3,000.00US and did not win the auction.
Finest in music box and phonograph restorations for over 40 years

12jslater
Victor II

Post by 12jslater »

Thanks for the reply's judging from the price and rarity I will have to pray that a copy turns up near me in my local antiques shop for a few pounds.

Thanks for all the responses.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

A better alternative would probably be to get a copy from Norman made on a new cylinder. I would buy a copy. I would like to own a reproduction cylinder of this record and Puttin on the Ritz.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

How about adding a copy of Red Hot Diamond Disc 52266 by the McAlpineers, a psuedonym for the California Ramblers, to that order from Norman.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Victrolacollector wrote:A better alternative would probably be to get a copy from Norman made on a new cylinder. I would buy a copy. I would like to own a reproduction cylinder of this record and Puttin on the Ritz.
Email: THEVICTROLAGUY@gmail.com. I recently got a copy of Puttin' on the Ritz from him and I am very happy with it. I have a YouTube video of it playing on my model B gem here: https://youtu.be/G515P4rEfAo

Tell him what you want, and as long as its 2:30 he can put it on a record!
J.F.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Victrolacollector wrote:A better alternative would probably be to get a copy from Norman made on a new cylinder. I would buy a copy. I would like to own a reproduction cylinder of this record and Puttin on the Ritz.
It has been a song that I considered in the past. And since it's a 5700's series it will complement my other re-issues in this field. I think I already have a decent transfer of the Edison take, that is certainly no problem. So, yes, I'll do that one!

I will put this song up on my schedule list. Before that, Doin' the Raccoon by Billy Murray and the 7 Blue Babies will be up for production soon, but first I wanted to get the 6" cylinder production going along, which is coming to a happy this month.

Button up your Overcoat will take some time but I would expect to have it up for release likely by the end of this year to early 2018.

Just listened to Red Hot, what a great song! That should also do a marvelous 4-minute cylinder. Concrete planning ahead for more than two titles is simply too iffy, nevertheless, I will try to keep that song in mind.