FOR SALE: Polk Miller & The Old South Quartette - $15

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Polyphone
Victor II
Personal Text: There is a fine line between clever and stupid

FOR SALE: Polk Miller & The Old South Quartette - $15

Post by Polyphone »

Hi TMF folks. We published 1700 of this first edition booklet-CD and we are down to less than 80 copies. This edition makes a great gift for you or for others.......sharing an very unlikely American story.

$15ea postpaid via Media Mail to the lower 48 states. We ship world-wide at cost.

Payment of $15 via paypal to flaherka@gmail.com or a check to:

Ken Flaherty
17166 Beechwood Ave.
Beverly Hills, MI 48025

2008 Grammy Award Nomination for Best Historical Record of the Year

National Public Radio: All Things Considered, “An Unlikely African-American Music Historian” Listen at: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =120398673

Thanks, Ken Flaherty

Background on this project:

Polk Miller’s banjo and guitar combined with black quartette singing is an amazing accomplishment for 1909. This is an important story as this is one of the earliest examples of African Americans and whites making sound recordings together.

In January of 1960, Jim Walsh published an article on Polk Miller and His Old South Quartette. At this time, Jim was writing a series of articles featuring “Favorite Pioneer Recording Artists”. He was quick to point out that that Polk Miller was one of the few recording artists that actually served in the Civil War. Jim also noted that on November 13, 1909, Polk Miller “was 65 years of age when his recording career both began and ended”. Polk Miller last performed with the Old South Quartette in 1911 and died on October 20, 1913 at the age of sixty-nine.

The first time I heard a Polk Miller and His Old South Quartette cylinder record was 15 years ago and I’m still not quite over it. The 1909 Edison recordings are years ahead of their time and the 1928 QRS/Broadway recordings by the Old South Quartette are outstanding examples of pre-war American black gospel music. After discovering these amazing recordings, I also learned about the lives of Polk Miller and the Old South Quartette from Doug Seroff’s comprehensive article in 78 Quarterly from 1988. Both of these discoveries led me down the path to reissue high quality audio transcriptions of these recordings combined with the written history of Polk Miller and the Old South Quartette.

We put a great effort into transcribing the Edison cylinders. Although the 1909 Edison cylinders are not extremely rare, it took years of searching to find clean examples for transfer. It is important to note that an effort was made to digitally remove inherent recording noise and defects from the Edison cylinder transfers. I quickly rediscovered the assets and liabilities of this process and struggled with which versions to release. The decision was made to release both the unedited versions and the digitally re-mastered versions on this CD, so the listener can decide which version is preferable.

Reissuing historic recordings on CD has always been a challenge for the jewel-case. In an effort to improve the historic recording experience, I have issued this project as a nine-by-nine inch, 26 page booklet with the CD of the complete Polk Miller and Old South Quartette recordings inside the back cover. The CD includes the seven 1909 Edison cylinder records and the seven 1928 QRS/Broadway disc recordings. Regarding the text, African American music scholar, Doug Seroff, has been kind enough to completely rewrite and update his 78 Quarterly publication to reflect the many new discoveries over the last 18 years; the new publication is entitled “The Enigma of Polk Miller”. From many years of research, Doug is able to provide the story of Polk Miller’s transition from running a successful pharmacy to becoming a professional entertainer with African Americans.
Attachments
1.jpg
4.jpg
4.jpg (173.78 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (153.47 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Last edited by Polyphone on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Re: FOR SALE: Polk Miller & The Old South Quartette - $15

Post by Hit of the Week »

I'd love to have a copy!
Please PM me what (& how) you want payment.

Iowa Dale

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

PM sent.

Bill

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Post by Hit of the Week »

Just want to speak to any of you who have not seen or heard this "Gem" from Ken..........He did a superb job digging out the history & music of Polk Miller & the Southern Quartette!
The 9"x9", twenty-five page booklet that houses the CD tells the extremely interesting & informative history of this Confederate veteran & his unheard of use (at the time) of black musicians & their pre-civil war music. Mark Twain was even one of his biggest backers!

So, if you don't already have this.....you are missing out on a "superb" piece of work!

Iowa Dale

Polyphone
Victor II

Post by Polyphone »

Thanks Iowa Dale. I appreciate the kind words and your support of the Polk Miller project.

Best, Ken

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Just wanted to add my 2 cents that this wonderful set is still available. I just got mine and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Polyphone
Victor II

Post by Polyphone »

Thanks for the kind words Brad....glad you are enjoying the Polk CD & booklet.

And thank you TMF members for the new orders....they are very much appreciated.

We published 1700 of this first edition booklet-CD and we are down to 67 copies. This edition makes a great gift for you or for others.......sharing an very unlikely American story.

$15ea postpaid via Media Mail to the lower 48 states. We ship to other US addresses and world-wide at cost. We always ship within one business day.

Payment of $15 via paypal "Friends & Family" to flaherka@gmail.com or a check to:

Ken Flaherty
17166 Beechwood Ave.
Beverly Hills, MI 48025

2008 Grammy Award Nomination for Best Historical Record of the Year

National Public Radio: All Things Considered, “An Unlikely African-American Music Historian” Listen at: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =120398673
Thanks, Ken Flaherty

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Ken's link doesn't seem to work. This one should.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =120398673

Polyphone
Victor II

Post by Polyphone »

Thanks for the correction! Best, Ken

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I ordered and paid via PayPal.