Wanted: Edison DD double or single reproducer mount

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
A Ford 1
Victor II

Wanted: Edison DD double or single reproducer mount

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi All,
I am still interested in obtaining either the double or single spare reproducer mounts made by Edison to store the Long Play, Dance, and or Edisonic reproducer or reproducers when not in use. If any one has one of these that they are would want to part with please contact me.
Allen

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: Wanted: Edison DD double or single reproducer mount

Post by EdisonWizard »

There's one on eBay right now for $25

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172640312154
J.F.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Last edited by 52089 on Sun May 21, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

I thank you very much for your post but the item you referred to is the shipping crate that was used by Edison to deliver the reproducer when it was new and it could be used to store a reproducer but it would not be very convenient. What I would like to obtain were intended to be mounted near the turntable in the phonograph. In the case of the double mount it was screwed into the back left hand corner of the case of the long play consoles. The single mounts attached to the bed plate and were part of the LP conversion kit and may also have been available individually. The double mounts may also have been available as individual purchases. If you search my posts and go back to page 18 there you will find A Ford 1 Edison long play kit update and the second and third pictures show the singe mount. I am sure if you search enough for long play consoles you will see the double mount some where.
I thank you most kindly for you help,
Allen

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

A Ford 1 wrote:I thank you very much for your post but the item you referred to is the shipping crate that was used by Edison to deliver the reproducer when it was new and it could be used to store a reproducer but it would not be very convenient. What I would like to obtain were intended to be mounted near the turntable in the phonograph. In the case of the double mount it was screwed into the back left hand corner of the case of the long play consoles. The single mounts attached to the bed plate and were part of the LP conversion kit and may also have been available individually. The double mounts may also have been available as individual purchases. If you search my posts and go back to page 18 there you will find A Ford 1 Edison long play kit update and the second and third pictures show the singe mount. I am sure if you search enough for long play consoles you will see the double mount some where.
I thank you most kindly for you help,
Allen
So then, if I read this correctly, to be "authentic" for my converted C-250, I'd need the single-mount type, right?

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi,
The single mount came with the conversion kit but if you had three reproduces in the old days you might want two single mounts or a double mount so that you could conveniently store all three of them. i.e. if you had an early type as well as a dance or Edisonic and a LP then two could be stored while the third was installed in the horn.
Allen

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi again,
I must correct my earlier comment. Although there were cast single mounts that attached by thumb screw to bed plates, the one in the conversion kit I have screws to the wood in the back left hand corner of the turntable section of the C-19 like the double mount of the consoles and is made of heavy formed sheet metal.
Allen

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I have seen examples of three distinctly different "spare" reproducer storing accessories to date. Two of these were meant to be fastened to the cabinet, at the rear of the turntable compartment, using two small wood screws, and were either single-type, or double-type holders. One is of another different concept, and was merely clamped onto the motor plate at the rear-left edge with a thumbscrew; I've come to a personal belief that this type was a third party accessory, and was probably meant to store a single reproducer, or adapter for playing "78s". I can't prove this, however, because I've been unable to identify a manufacturer.

It is also my belief that the prior two mentioned above were manufactured either by, or exclusively for, TAE, Inc. for use with their Diamond Disc Phonograph models, and weren't meant to store third-party adapters for "78" record play -- I believe they were in fact originally produced for the Long Playing Consoles, and were meant to store the Long Playing reproducer or the "New Standard" (and later aka the "Edisonic") reproducer for these models, while the other was being used.

I've observed the single-type cabinet mounted version finished only in black japanning, and the double-type cabinet mounted version finished in either gold plating, or gun metal (Antique) finishes. Gold plated versions are very scarce in my experience. All Long Playing Consoles were furnished with the double-type cabinet mounted version finished in gun metal (Antique).

Double-type cabinet mounted holders have indeed been observed on other Diamond Disc Phonograph models, but it's my belief they weren't likely original equipment, but were instead an applied accessory provided by dealers, or purchased separately and attached by their owners. Probably a great many of these existing today have been removed from "junked" machines, and re-utilized by subsequent owners. That being said, it's possible the double-type may also have been available for non-Long Playing models as an accessory installed at the factory by TAE, Inc., but I've seen no proof of that having ever occurred.

Allen has shown images of the single-type cabinet mount version that came with his factory provided Long Playing kit, I am attaching images of the two other versions I've mentioned above (the gold plated double-type recently sold on eBAY for over $200!).

Best,
Fran
s-l1600 (3).jpg
DSC04084 (Large).JPG
Single holder.jpg
Last edited by fran604g on Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi All,
I believe that the cast single reproducer mount was supplied with or as an add on with the earlier Dance reproducer and the single fabricated one we know came with the LP conversion kit. I also believe the double mount was made for the consoles because either Edison or the sales department realized the buyer would feel uncomfortable with either two reproducers one in each hand or having to lay one down not to have both hands full while changing from one reproducer for the other. One should realize that when they were selling the Dance reproducer or the kit the buyer already owned a machine and did not see the problem of changing reproducers ahead of time.
Edison probably did not have a foundry, and or, it was likely the fabricated mounts were less expensive or could be made in house. Any one of the previous reasons would be enough to change the method of manufacture.
Sincerely,
Allen
p.s. After posting this I saw the previous post and I think that he is likely to be the best source of information on all topics Diamond Disc!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

A Ford 1 wrote:Hi All,
I believe that the cast single reproducer mount was supplied with or as an add on with the earlier Dance reproducer and the single fabricated one we know came with the LP conversion kit. I also believe the double mount was made for the consoles because either Edison or the sales department realized the buyer would feel uncomfortable with either two reproducers one in each hand or having to lay one down not to have both hands full while changing from one reproducer for the other. One should realize that when they were selling the Dance reproducer or the kit the buyer already owned a machine and did not see the problem of changing reproducers ahead of time.
Edison probably did not have a foundry, and or, it was likely the fabricated mounts were less expensive or could be made in house. Any one of the previous reasons would be enough to change the method of manufacture.
Sincerely,
Allen
p.s. After posting this I saw the previous post and I think that he is likely to be the best source of information on all topics Diamond Disc!
Thank you for the kind words, Allen. :)

Respectfully, I believe that the fabricated single and double reproducer holders as original equipment could only be found with the L-P models, with complete original factory installation kits, or with models incorporating a verified installed original factory L-P kit. In my opinion, all those holders found today on other models must have been later added by owners, through obtaining those parts necessary to convert existing machines to the L-P system, from units originally equipped with the L-P device.

Also, I don't believe those fabricated holders were marketed as an accessory by TAE Inc. to accommodate the purchaser of the Edison Dance Reproducer or the Edison Standard Reproducer (aka the "New Standard" or later aka the "Edisonic" reproducer), because I believe these new reproducers were intended to replace the earlier reproducers. The Dance was introduced (mid-1926) and replaced by the Standard in very short time, as a new campaign to announce the L-P models (equipped with the Standard) was begun only 4 months (Oct. 1926) after the availability of the Dance was announced. The Dance may have been originally intended to be supplied with the L-P models and was quickly abandoned, likely in favor of the simpler construction of the Standard. By May 1927, the Standard was available to all previous owners through a trade-in program, and in my opinion, was meant to replace all those older reproducers -- meaning such storage devices would have been deemed unnecessary by the company. After all, they wanted only the newer technologies to be purchased and used by their consumers.

Of course we know that isn't what ultimately happened; Poor Charles Edison.

The cast single-type motor plate clamp-on holder I showed is a bit of an anomaly for me, and because apparently so few survive I don't believe TAE Inc. had anything to do with its manufacture. I've seen only 2 of them -- maybe others have seen more, if so I'd like to hear of them. If they were indeed produced for either of the new reproducers, I would expect to see many more examples surviving today.

I wish you the best in your pursuit for such an accessory.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.