WANTED: Amberola III Lower shelf or tracing/photos of it...

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
victorIIvictor
Victor II

Re: Wanted: Amberola III cabinet...

Post by victorIIvictor »

Fran wrote, "also lose the integrity of the proper serial number match for both the original cabinet AND the mechanism"

Rich Gordon wrote, "I agree with Fran in that seeing as the cabinet serial number matches the Machine"

Pardon my ignorance, but could you please tell me how you know the serial number and the cabinet number match on this machine? I can't tell from these pictures (the best I can see on the data plate is that the serial number is 3 digits), and I understand that these numbers don't necessarily match on Amberola IIIs straight from the factory.

What am I missing? Thanks.

Best wishes, Mark

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

It's my understanding that early versions of both the Amberola and Disc models had serial numbering in the horn compartments that corresponded to the mechanisms. I know this to be absolutely true for at least the Amberola I, A 250, and B 150, and assume this to be true (I read it somewhere, but can't cite where) for the Amberola III as well. As far as the Disc models are concerned, I believe this characteristic dissappeared once the B-Type mechanism was introduced.

Hopefully others will attest to this characteristic.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

I know..
I just have so many other things to do in the summer months and I hate having it sit there all legless....

I should have read too Garret.. I thought it was an Amberola III cabinet also!... Geeze I am horrible...

Hmmmmm....
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

OldRestorer wrote:I know..
I just have so many other things to do in the summer months and I hate having it sit there all legless....

I should have read too Garret.. I thought it was an Amberola III cabinet also!... Geeze I am horrible...

Hmmmmm....
Kirk,

While we have you here, can you attest that your cabinet has the same serial number stamped into it, as is on the data plate? There should also be the same corresponding number located somewhere on the underside of the motor plate, I believe.

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

It seems like the one I had, also had the serial number stamped in the wood behind the neck of the horn in back where that door opens. but it's been a long time now and I can't say for sure. I remember thinking that when I refinished it for some reason, but that's close to 20 years ago now.

victorIIvictor
Victor II

Post by victorIIvictor »

Fran wrote, "It's my understanding that early versions of both the Amberola and Disc models had serial numbering in the horn compartments that corresponded to the mechanisms."

Thanks. I had thought that Edison was getting the Amberola III cabinets from several sources, and what was stamped in the cabinets did not necessarily match the data plates/bedplate stampings on original machines. My knowledge is limited to what is in Frow, who doesn't have much to say about it.

Definitely all three numbers match on mine, serial number 304.

Best wishes, Mark

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

victorIIvictor wrote:Fran wrote, "It's my understanding that early versions of both the Amberola and Disc models had serial numbering in the horn compartments that corresponded to the mechanisms."

Thanks. I had thought that Edison was getting the Amberola III cabinets from several sources, and what was stamped in the cabinets did not necessarily match the data plates/bedplate stampings on original machines. My knowledge is limited to what is in Frow, who doesn't have much to say about it.

Definitely all three numbers match on mine, serial number 304.

Best wishes, Mark
Thank you, Mark.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Here are the numbers..
I dont see a match for the cabinet and mech....

Mech stamp is ??277
Cabinet stamp is 554
The plaque and plate match with serial #793

Kirk
Attachments
IMG_3725.JPG
IMG_3729.JPG
IMG_3730.JPG
IMG_3727.JPG
IMG_3726.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

OldRestorer wrote:Here are the numbers..
I dont see a match for the cabinet and mech....

Mech stamp is ??277
Cabinet stamp is 554
The plaque and plate match with serial #793

Kirk
Thank you, Kirk. I appreciate your patience with this curious old fat guy. :D

I wonder, in regard to the cabinet, what this might mean... :geek:

Is there a number stamped into the front of the cabinet?

Best,
Fran

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

I do not see any other numbers on the cabinet sorry...

Kirk