Re: FOR SALE: 19 assorted cylinder records - $350

Post by briankeith »

I thought they may all be brown wax :roll:

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

This comment is not meant to be critical, so please do not take it that way... just for your own education. Those titles are nothing unusual or rare, so the asking price of $350 is way out of line. The cylinders listed might bring between $2 and $5 each, so $50 is more in line... Don't shoot the messenger... please.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Curt A wrote:This comment is not meant to be critical, so please do not take it that way... just for your own education. Those titles are nothing unusual or rare, so the asking price of $350 is way out of line. The cylinders listed might bring between $2 and $5 each, so $50 is more in line... Don't shoot the messenger... please.
The several British series records would probably bring more than $5, as would the 5000 series, especially the Titanic one, but yes, the asking price is not likely to be be met.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

I'd pay a fair price for the Titanic one, but the rest seem pretty banal.

nalanotrig
Victor Jr

Post by nalanotrig »

I am sure many, many of you are much more learned in these matters than I. I research the items as well as I am able. Of these 19 cylinders I found information on 17. In no particular order here are prices that I found they SOLD at, not asking price, they SOLD at these prices or higher. 3, 25, 25, 19, ?, 16, 6, 20, 4, 6, 38, 17, 12, 10, 36, 5, ?, 12. The Titanic ranged from $35-$226. Again these were what they sold for. Just saying.

Believe me, I'm not going to argue with anybody over this because I can ask whatever I want, and people will either buy them or not. Pretty simple, eh?

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Sure, list them for whatever you want. It's up to us whether to buy them or not. If you can't get your listed price, sell them on ebay and let the market decide. That's pretty simple, too. Good luck with your sale.
Harvey Kravitz
nalanotrig wrote:I am sure many, many of you are much more learned in these matters than I. I research the items as well as I am able. Of these 19 cylinders I found information on 17. In no particular order here are prices that I found they SOLD at, not asking price, they SOLD at these prices or higher. 3, 25, 25, 19, ?, 16, 6, 20, 4, 6, 38, 17, 12, 10, 36, 5, ?, 12. The Titanic ranged from $35-$226. Again these were what they sold for. Just saying.

Believe me, I'm not going to argue with anybody over this because I can ask whatever I want, and people will either buy them or not. Pretty simple, eh?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

No argument here... you can ask whatever you want and I hope you get it, although eBay may be your best shot.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

nalanotrig
Victor Jr

Post by nalanotrig »

I not doing ebay anymore. They basically kicked me off. People want to see more photos of things and ebay absolutely does not allow more than 12. They won't let you send out one's email so that I can send people more photos so they "delisted" the things I had on ebay. I guess I'll give up and have an estate sale. I just don't think it will be very good because not very many people want antiques that live in our area. Oh well.

I was thinking of going to the Antique Phonograph Society 1n a week with photos of Dad's stuff but I doubt that would be fruitful either.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

nalanotrig wrote:I not doing ebay anymore. They basically kicked me off. People want to see more photos of things and ebay absolutely does not allow more than 12. They won't let you send out one's email so that I can send people more photos so they "delisted" the things I had on ebay. I guess I'll give up and have an estate sale. I just don't think it will be very good because not very many people want antiques that live in our area. Oh well.

I was thinking of going to the Antique Phonograph Society 1n a week with photos of Dad's stuff but I doubt that would be fruitful either.
If you are trying to unload an estate, perhaps you would have better success contacting an auction house that specializes in phonographs such as Stanton or Donley.

For the record, you can attach photos to messages sent within eBay, and you can upload more than 12 photos to your listing if you pay the additional fee for the photo package. External image hosting also allows you to upload as many photos as you want by pasting the html code in the description, but that can be tedious.