WANTED: leatherette turntable cover on Victrola 8-9, 8-35

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
melvind
Victor IV

Re: WANTED: leatherette turntable cover on Victrola 8-9, 8-3

Post by melvind »

marcapra wrote:I just bought a Victrola 8-9, but it has a felt turntable cover. I want to put it back to original with a green leatherette cover 12". Thanks, marc.
Based on these machines I have seen the yellowish/mustard color felt is correct. It likely has to do with production dates I would guess, but I don't think you have replaced felt based on the pictures you showed.

Dan

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

melvind wrote:
marcapra wrote:I just bought a Victrola 8-9, but it has a felt turntable cover. I want to put it back to original with a green leatherette cover 12". Thanks, marc.
Based on these machines I have seen the yellowish/mustard color felt is correct. It likely has to do with production dates I would guess, but I don't think you have replaced felt based on the pictures you showed.

Dan
For what it's worth, my 8-9 is a 1929 model and has the leatherette turntable. Perhaps the felt came on the 1928 / earlier production models? Maybe they were using up leftover Credenza turntables? Tell us what your serial number is, perhaps that would answer some questions.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Mine, with the mustard colored felt, is serial number 700, so it's probably an early example.

The photo of Marc's turntable looks like it might be original but it's hard to tell from the photo. Are the edges of the felt kind of ragged, like it was cut out by an amateur? The photo kind of looks like that.

Marc,

What s/n is your machine?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

We've sort of gone down this road once before. My 8-8 is a very late production machine, late 1929, and it has the mustard colored felt, yet my 1928 8-35 uses the leatherette. Grated, I've only seen a few 8-8's but all of them had felt and I've wondered why that was, you would have thought the late 8-series machines would have all basically gone through the same transitions.

Sean

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

If Peter reads this, maybe he could answer yours questions about the turntable felt and the serial number. I won't have the 8-9 until the APS show on Aug. 12th. Thanks, Marc.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

My 8-35 has the orange colored felt, which I've always assumed is original; also has some outer wear marks. SN I believe dates it toward the end of the production run, 1929-30. My RE-45 has the green leather TT covering...
Attachments
8-35 SN.jpg
8-35 felt.jpg
Adam

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Well, I think you guys have convinced me that the felt turntable may be original to the machine, but it is in such tattered condition that I want to replace it with the green leatherette anyway. Thanks to all! Marc.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Do you suppose the leatherette covers were just for the VE8-35 X and VE8-9 X Electrolas? Felt for windups? The pictures posted make me wonder.
Bob
Last edited by barnettrp21122 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

jukejunkie
Victor I

Post by jukejunkie »

My VE 8-35 X had the original leatherette SN #2045 as well as my VE 8-9 With a SN# under 800.

Kurt

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

My old 8-35 was hand crank and had the green leatherette turntable, so I don't think there is a tie between the 8-9X and 8-35 X electrics and the leatherette turntable.