FOR SALE: HMV Chippendale - Nearly Complete Project $1200

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
mariof
Victor I

FOR SALE: HMV Chippendale - Nearly Complete Project $1200

Post by mariof »

Hi All,

Some time ago I was fortunate enough to come by a the cabinet for a Very Rare HMV Grand (Chippendale). These machines were along with the Grand Sheraton the first HMV internal horn cabinet machines offered for sale and at the time the most luxurious offering by HMV. The Chippendale was sold in far fewer numbers than the Sheraton as the heavier styled furniture was not as appealing at the time. I was also fortunate enough to have acquired the only other Chippendale I had seen come available and as it is complete I have no need to finish the project I had started earlier. So I'm offering this rare project for completion...

The issues:

When I purchased the cabinet, the horn, motor board, all hardware and upper dividers were missing. I have sourced the appropriate motor & tone arm and have had the motor board re-made. The soundbox and bullet brake need sourcing (these are relatively easy to find). The wooden part of the horn needs attaching to the cast section and then the cabinet need a clean and waxing. There is also one strip of moulding missing. All this very doable but I stopped the project when I acquired the other example. Well worth the effort for a rare machine. I'm happy to help you get the machine to where you need it whether in Australia or internationally (via packsend.com.au)

Pic attached. Price is AUD$1200

Cheers,
Mario

PS. My understanding is that the HMV Auxetophone was also offered in this cabinet.
Attachments
IMG_1831 3.JPG
IMG_1833 3.JPG
IMG_1834 3.JPG
IMG_1835 3.JPG
IMG_1836 3.JPG
IMG_1837 3.JPG
IMG_1838 3.JPG
IMG_1839 3.JPG
FullSizeRender 26.jpg

mariof
Victor I

Re: FOR SALE: HMV Chippendale - Nearly Complete Project $120

Post by mariof »

sorry about the sideway images, they weren't like that on my computer...

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Obviously, this is a pre-Orthophonic phono? Do you know what year it was made?

mariof
Victor I

Post by mariof »

marcapra wrote:Obviously, this is a pre-Orthophonic phono? Do you know what year it was made?
Yes, the correct soundbox would be an Exhibition. The Grand (Chippendale) was offered for sale from Sept 1907-August 1911. According to the The HMV book monthly sales figures were in the single digits by the close of 1910. The price at the time was £45

cheers,
Mario