FOR SALE: "Party" 78 - $35 shipped (US)

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

FOR SALE: "Party" 78 - $35 shipped (US)

Post by TinfoilPhono »

And now for something completely different: an early 'party' record made by an obscure company in San Francisco and sold for the then-expensive price of $2.50.

The 'A' side is titled "Her Man of War," sung by an unnamed male singer with music accompaniment. It's a typical raunchy song of the era that manages to be highly suggestive without being explicit. Not that it's hard to understand. Example:
She's always baring the battle front, ready for action, he's on the hunt. You're sure to find him right at the front, he's her man of war. He storms her trench and he's not afraid, his bayonet makes her cry for aid....
The 'B' side is "Abie's Indian Shiksa" and yes, it manages to offend two ethnic groups. It's less overt that the A side but it still qualifies as a 'party' record.

I had found a stash of these 35 years ago in San Francisco. All were technically new-old-stock but they had been stored without sleeves and as a result they all had minor rubbing. Nonetheless it would grade E- and my own copy still plays loud and very, very clear. I didn't realize I had this duplicate left over until I stumbled on it today. This particular copy is literally new and unplayed and the minor scuffs should pose no issue. (They don't on my copy.)

$35 postpaid (Media Mail with tracking) in the US.
Attachments
IMG_1763.JPG
IMG_1762.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: "Party" 78 - $35 shipped (US)

Post by Phonofreak »

Very Interesting. I have several party records. I noticed the plainer the label, the raunchier it is. The printed label used a lot of innuendos. The typewritten labels and handwritten labels are really nasty being very explicit with 4 letter words and everything. These were not to be played in mixed company. I imagine a bunch of guys sitting in some smokey, dimly lit back room. With several open bottles of booze playing these records and watching stag movies. I was always curious as who marketed these and where were they sold?
Harvey Kravitz

victorIIvictor
Victor II

Post by victorIIvictor »

Harvey wrote, "I was always curious as who marketed these and where were they sold?"

This entertaining website might answer some of your questions…

http://www.hensteeth.com/

Regarding Good-Humor records specifically:

http://www.hensteeth.com/goodhumor.html

Best wishes, Mark

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

TinfoilPhono wrote:And now for something completely different: an early 'party' record made by an obscure company in San Francisco and sold for the then-expensive price of $2.50.

The 'A' side is titled "Her Man of War," sung by an unnamed male singer with music accompaniment. It's a typical raunchy song of the era that manages to be highly suggestive without being explicit. Not that it's hard to understand. Example:
She's always baring the battle front, ready for action, he's on the hunt. You're sure to find him right at the front, he's her man of war. He storms her trench and he's not afraid, his bayonet makes her cry for aid....
Over here in England a somewhat notorious record of Elsie Carlisle singing this same song as "My Man O'War" was issued on the Dominion label in 1928.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: FOR SALE: "Party" 78 - $25 shipped (US) - New Price

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Price lowered to $25 postpaid.

(How do I edit the title to change the price? There's no edit button on that post anymore.)

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: FOR SALE: "Party" 78 - $25 shipped (US) - New Price

Post by Curt A »

TinfoilPhono wrote:Price lowered to $25 postpaid.

(How do I edit the title to change the price? There's no edit button on that post anymore.)
You have to go to your original post, open it and click EDIT (it's at the bottom far right of your original post)... then scroll up to the title and change it to what you want.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 10.32.19 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

The problem is that the edit button is gone. It disappears after a certain amount of time, apparently.
Attachments
Screen Shot 09-05-17 at 08.00 PM.PNG

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I wouldn't have those laying around when the preacher comes to call!edisonplayer

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

edisonplayer wrote:I wouldn't have those laying around when the preacher comes to call!edisonplayer
It was likely made by the preacher moonlighting...
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek