It's gotta go!

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
ashboo
Victor Jr

It's gotta go!

Post by ashboo »

Hey folks! I just happened on this forum and thought you all may be interested in a record player I need to find a home for.

My grandfather passed away recently and had a small collection of record players. What we want to sell is an old Victrola. It probably just needs to be cleaned and have a bit of maintenance, but it plays just fine (though I'm no expert). What I have to offer are some really bad photos from my dad's cell phone, and one from mine. If you are interested, I may be able to get better ones. Or, if you are local to the SF bay area, you could drop by and see it/play it yourself!

Important to note: This record player is kept in a San Francisco basement. Thus, it has had constant exposure to moisture. I'm keeping one of the record players and was able to clean it so that there seems to be no visible mold, but someone sensitive to molds may have troubles (the records we gave away made one person allergic, though I had no problem with them and the other record player we are keeping has been in my home for two months). Also, my father tells me that there are some termite tracks on the player, though I haven't seen them myself.

I don't know the model, but we had an antiques dealer come in and he said it was worth something.

Anyway, here is a link to what I do have in terms of pictures:

http://web.me.com/ashlaidlaw/Site/Grand ... trola.html

If anyone has any information on the model, is interested in buying it, or knows what we can do to make it sellable or post it somewhere, that would be great. We are selling my grandfather's house, so we need to do this asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Ashley

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: It's gotta go!

Post by estott »

You've got a Victor Victrola 210: http://www.victor-victrola.com/210.htm

They are nice machines but in their day they were very good sellers, and there are a lot of them around today. Because of this they do not fetch very much money. You might have some success if you advertise this on Craigslist in the San Francisco area.

ashboo
Victor Jr

Post by ashboo »

Thanks for the info/tip -- much appreciated :)

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

actually, it looks more like a VV-215... the 210 had a one-piece lid that spanned the width of the cabinet, and didn't have the drawer (above the record storage area) and faux drawer (above the horn)... if the drawer above the record storage area doesn't open and is a faux drawer as well, then this model would be a VV-215S, with the S for special, in that it was designed to accomodate an optional radio which could be installed where the record storage area is.

either way, the value would pretty much be the same as with the 210, as the other post above indicated... these were and are pretty common machines.

ashboo
Victor Jr

Post by ashboo »

oh ok. thanks for following up. now that you describe the VV-215S, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. thank you so much for helping me pinpoint the model :)