FOR SALE:Edison Advertisitng Calendar Clock-Fantasy $375

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
fonograph
Victor II

FOR SALE:Edison Advertisitng Calendar Clock-Fantasy $375

Post by fonograph »

Here is an Edison advertising clock that I'm pretty sure is a fantasy item. The clock is authentic Sessions Calendar Clock (cir 1920's) and the glass is old as indicated by the bubbles, but I'm not sure about the age of the reverse painting. The painting is not amateuristic, as you can see. I've had the clock for about 12 years. As a timepiece, the clock looks good and keeps good time, however the calendar wants to jump ahead a few days. With those things in mind I've based the price on a nice old clock that looks good hanging on the wall in the phonograph room.
Attachments
clock4.jpg
clock3.jpg
clock1.jpg
clock2.jpg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE:Edison Advertisitng Calendar Clock-Fantasy $375

Post by Lucius1958 »

Interesting: I grew up in Bristol, CT, and my mother's family knew some of the Sessions family... (and my grandfather worked for Edison at one time)...

The reverse transfer does not look blatantly new: it might be worth the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, why use an image of an outdated cylinder machine when advertising the Disc Phonographs? That is puzzling. :?

Bill

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

It looks like the image of the cylinder machine is intended to be a "trade mark" maybe.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Fantasy. It appears to be an image lifted from an ad, and divorced from the context the words don't make complete grammatical sense (at least to me).