FOR SALE: parting out VV-210, VARIOUS

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

FOR SALE: parting out VV-210, VARIOUS

Post by MicaMonster »

Here’s everything. Motor has bad spring. Private message me with your needs.
Attachments
7015B919-AE4E-4DC6-9993-0142F1D80101.jpeg
870FD78C-184F-4B84-8A76-4FF04E9C71AC.jpeg
A97982EB-B841-4BAB-8AB9-C2AD7157AB86.jpeg
E9AEBF24-AD80-4E30-A195-9C2F2C4F6B26.jpeg
906EACEA-963B-4084-9103-1D7BA897966A.jpeg
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: FOR SALE: parting out VV-210, VARIOUS

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

No, that thing is seriously salvageable! My old E Series VV-XIV was worse than that--bad springs and all.

Those flat-top consoles, especially the very common 210, are Jazz Age icons--the slick, modern machine that made the '20s roar. And in that condition it could be the Victrola that interests a kid in the hobby. It's no worse than the water-damaged, mechanically ruined XIV E Series that, after a month or two of amateur restorations became the soundtrack of my high school years!

Yes, it's not worth much...but I still hate to see someone parting out a Victrola or any old phonograph. Still looks like it could be saved.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:No, that thing is seriously salvageable! My old E Series VV-XIV was worse than that--bad springs and all.

Those flat-top consoles, especially the very common 210, are Jazz Age icons--the slick, modern machine that made the '20s roar. And in that condition it could be the Victrola that interests a kid in the hobby. It's no worse than the water-damaged, mechanically ruined XIV E Series that, after a month or two of amateur restorations became the soundtrack of my high school years!

Yes, it's not worth much...but I still hate to see someone parting out a Victrola or any old phonograph. Still looks like it could be saved.
Go for it! :)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Aw, that's the trouble--I'm fixing to take delivery of a battered but supposedly running Amberola 30 (late series), and Orthosean is graciously holding an Edison Standard in green oak for a few months.

But the other trouble is, I'm in a tiny dormitory room at a Catholic seminary, where I will be for quite a long time indeed. My two Victrolas and records are 100s of miles away, and I will have to return--and I don't even own a car!

Yes, I'd save it if I could. You know, a 210 was an inspiration, one of the many machines that helped get me into the hobby. If I listed the machines that got me interested:

1. 1912 VV-IX, incorrect No. 2 soundbox and arm. First Victrola I ever heard.
2. A crapophone.
3. Alligatored and seized-up Victrola 210. I stared at it until my parents wondered what got into me.
4. A badly alligatored Grafonola. Little kid me was super impressed with the volume controls
5. Generic cylinder machine, missing horn, in museum. Parents were like, "let's go see the rest of the museum..."
6. Old Dictaphone from the 1930s. I thought that was the coolest thing ever! Office work used to be fun? Who knew?
7. 3 thrift store 78s, one cracked. Bought these anyway to play on my Crosley back when I was little.

And now for my own highly specialized collection.

8. 1914 Victrola XIV-E. Sagging, alligatored heap left to rot in barn for 50 years. Antique dealer couldn't move it after nine months or more. I got it. You almost got the parts and I almost burnt it for fire wood, but it was 102 years old and I couldn't bring myself to do it. Now it's 103 ½ and running great!
9. 1930 RCA Victor VV-265 Victrola. Looks really nasty. So dusty when I got it that I couldn't read the decal.
10. An Amberola 30 from shopGoodwill.com, on the way. It's the late model with pot metal and all.

Do you get what's in common? My imagination was sparked by junk machines. The part-out kind. The kind that no one wants because they happen to not work--you know, they're 90-odd years old and I am always suspicious when they DO work. I love fixing them, too. There was a dealer I knew who parted out machines regularly, working or not. If I was phonograph Batman, he was the Joker. Out of all he destroyed he kept one for himself. He had to send it off because he couldn't fix it, and said it was an RCA Victor with a big brass horn... :roll:

Seeing these common machines, even in normal as-found shape, reminds me of the adventure, the joy of chasing records and Victrolas as a teenager, rattling through Dixie in Mom's old banger of a Corolla. Even if it was common or considered boring, I was stoked to find a 1924 VV-260 once at an antique store--"a humpback console? Too cool!"--and the adventure hasn't stopped.

Someone could really get a kick out of this 210, that's all. I know we need parts but it's a little sad to see one this nice get chopped up. Collectors won't want it but find a kid or a pair of newlyweds and let them have at it...even if not working.

They still make mainsprings. They don't make Victrolas. But Victrolas make collectors and collectors save history.

Unless they are in seminary...then they only save a little history at a time, and not move it.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

I need a left door with hinges for my V-100. Could you take a measurement to make sure it would fit my model? Also, how bad is the condition?

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

These doors are for this model only. Overall....really, just screw it back together, add a spring, and you are golden.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Rats on the doors. I was specifically talking about the shape of the door. ah well.

How much for the motor plus shipping?

Dedrums
Victor O
Personal Text: phonographs are like potato chips you can't just have one

Post by Dedrums »

My heart breaks !!!!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

A trademark Wyatt's Awesome Restoration would make the world's nicest 210.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

If you look at the patent plate, it's a 215, not a 210.

The VV-210 had a one-piece lid. Just clarifying.

Bill