SOLD: Edison "Branded Case" GEM Model A + Horn - $775

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

SOLD: Edison "Branded Case" GEM Model A + Horn - $775

Post by HisMastersVoice »

For sale is a gorgeous example of the uncommon "branded case" GEM. It's called that because the decal was burned into the wood with a hot brand. The case is original to the machine, and the serial number is G33159. This one is all original finish with bright decals and pin striping. The "GEM Speaker" reproducer is in good order and you can use it to play brown wax as well. The horn is original and in excellent shape, as is the rest of the machine. Motor is clean and runs great. No problems to really mention overall, it's just a nice original machine.
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: Edison "Branded Case" GEM Model A + Horn - $95

Post by Phonofreak »

Nice original machine. You can't get any better than that. :D :rose:
Harvey Kravitz

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

I have only seen the Branded Cased GEM with this End-gate.
At what serial number did Edison change to the Banner A GEM End-gate?

Curious, Bob S.
Attachments
s-l1600 (3).jpg

whitedogfive
Victor O

Post by whitedogfive »

I have a Gem serial number G48143, with the applied decal, and the same end gate. It has the model B reproducer.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Zwebie wrote:I have only seen the Branded Cased GEM with this End-gate.
At what serial number did Edison change to the Banner A GEM End-gate?

Curious, Bob S.
What is your serial number?

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Interesting stuff! It seems likely that they would have run out of the old style endgate before the switch to the banner case occurred. I believe the machine is otherwise identical, right? I'd be curious to know when the switch from the GEM Speaker to the Model B & Model C occurred as well.

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Brandon, here is what is in the “Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion” by Frow concerning the reproducer on the Gem Model-A branded case.

“Reproducer: Although the fixed reproducer may have lingered into the earliest cased models, a special lightly made GEM reproducer was sold with the cased machine from 1900, modelled on the Automatic. The carrier-arm eye was smaller than standard and the new reproducer was dropped in, turned to the right and locked by two knurled screws. During the same period a recorder, very similar in appearance, was included. From 1902 a standard diameter carrier-arm was fitted and until October 1st 1905 a Model B reproducer supplied to the machine. A standard recorder became an optional extra for $3.00. From June 1902 after protests Model C reproducer became regular issue with GEMS sold in the U.K.

Excerpt From
Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion
George L. Frow
This material may be protected by copyright.

Rich Gordon

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

rgordon939 wrote:Brandon, here is what is in the “Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion” by Frow concerning the reproducer on the Gem Model-A branded case.

“Reproducer: Although the fixed reproducer may have lingered into the earliest cased models, a special lightly made GEM reproducer was sold with the cased machine from 1900, modelled on the Automatic. The carrier-arm eye was smaller than standard and the new reproducer was dropped in, turned to the right and locked by two knurled screws. During the same period a recorder, very similar in appearance, was included. From 1902 a standard diameter carrier-arm was fitted and until October 1st 1905 a Model B reproducer supplied to the machine. A standard recorder became an optional extra for $3.00. From June 1902 after protests Model C reproducer became regular issue with GEMS sold in the U.K.

Excerpt From
Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion
George L. Frow
This material may be protected by copyright.

Rich Gordon
Thanks Rich! I often forget I have nearly every book on phonographs. Perhaps I should consult them :lol:

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating...

The Gem Speaker, even when massaged and tweaked by our esteemed Mr Medved, just can't and won't sound very good. So an easy way to fully enjoy your early Gem is to obtain a later carriage with the opening suitable for B and C reproducers, and occasionally switch over to it.

Cheap and easy to switch them, fully reversible, etc.

BUT: the feedscrew (and thus, half-nut) thread pitches are different between the early and late model Gems. So when making the switch you also need to switch the half-nuts from one carriage to the other. Most of us would figure that out eventually, but sharing it here will save time and effort.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

PeterF wrote:I've posted this before, but it bears repeating...

The Gem Speaker, even when massaged and tweaked by our esteemed Mr Medved, just can't and won't sound very good. So an easy way to fully enjoy your early Gem is to obtain a later carriage with the opening suitable for B and C reproducers, and occasionally switch over to it.

Cheap and easy to switch them, fully reversible, etc.

BUT: the feedscrew (and thus, half-nut) thread pitches are different between the early and late model Gems. So when making the switch you also need to switch the half-nuts from one carriage to the other. Most of us would figure that out eventually, but sharing it here will save time and effort.
I agree, they don’t sound very good. For me personally, this machine was more of a curiosity/piece of history than a machine I played everyday. Similarly, most people don’t sit down and play a stack of records on a Berliner, it’s more for demonstration/historical value.