Victor III

Re: Wanted: Victrola VV-XVII or VV-XVIII Crank Hole Escutche

Post by EarlH »

Do you need one for an XVII or an XVIII? because they aren't the same

Junkyard4
Victor Jr

Post by Junkyard4 »

I need one for a VV-XVIII but I was told it’s the same as the VV-XVII. I do know the VV-XVI is not the same as the other two

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

This is the escutcheon that you are looking for. The XVI of around 1915-1917 used the same one. The later one's have a much smaller footprint. I'm not sure if the XVII escutcheon will fit or not to be honest. Most of the guys on the forum know a lot more about this stuff than I do. But,one nice thing about this one is, it's a lot cheaper than the ornate one. A friend of mine here in town might have an extra one of these and I can ask Terry when I see him if you want.
Attachments
DSCF5214.JPG

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/victor-victrol ... SwBUVZwFzz

This XVII parts machine is in Missouri and local pick-up, but if you still need other parts too, you might be able to make an offer for what you need and get those things shipped to you. I know that this is a XVII, not an XVIII, so I don't know what is interchangeable.

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

Every spring XVIII that I have examined has had the escutcheon that EarlH shows. As he mentioned, this is an easy one to find. Curiously, the Victor parts list shows an elaborate escutcheon that is different from the XVII escutcheon, but the parts list also states that the XVII escutcheon has superseded the fancy one shown. The XVII escutcheon will fit on an XVIII, but the shape does not follow the wooden trim on the cabinet.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

The 2 XVII's that I've had, an early mahogany and this later Walnut, both had the escutcheon shown below. I did see a 125 with the plain escutcheon shown above. I would assume the XVIII would have the fancier one. What does the key escutcheon look like on your machine? they should match No?
Attachments
2017-11-02 17.32.56.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

When I got the XVIII I have, I thought it had the wrong escutcheon on it and did some asking around and found that everyone I asked about them that owned one for many years, had the plain, large escutcheon on them. And one of them I know the guy has owned for 40 years and got it from the original family. The other machines came out later, and that must be when the fancier escutcheon came out. The serial number on mine is in the low 1,000's and maybe the late one's got the other escutcheon. But if you do a google image search for XVIII's I can't find any (where you can see that side of the machine) that shows a different one. There seems to be a large number of these things surviving, so it would be kind of interesting to know if the later machines got the fancier escutcheon.
Attachments
Right side.jpg
Right side.jpg (67.22 KiB) Viewed 986 times

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

This illustrates the theoretical difference between the XVII and the XVIII escutcheons. But as I mentioned, all the XVIIIs I have seen have had the large XVI escutcheon.
Attachments
Victor VV-XVIII Escutcheon.jpg
Victor VV-XVII Escutcheon.jpg

Junkyard4
Victor Jr

Post by Junkyard4 »

I ordered one from George Vollema today. He says it’s the correct one I need but we’ll see if it matches up to the marks on my cabinet left by the original part. Should have it early next week. I’ll let you guys know how it turns out