FOUND: Victor Caruso Record 85055 Cielo e mar "Romanza"

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
melvind
Victor IV

FOUND: Victor Caruso Record 85055 Cielo e mar "Romanza"

Post by melvind »

I am looking for a copy of the Victor record 85055 Cielo e mar "Romanza" by Enrico Caruso. He recorded this aria more than one time, but I am only looking for 85055. If you have some forgotten Caruso records handing around and can find this one I would love to buy it. PM or email me with any offers.
Last edited by melvind on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Re: WANTED: Victor Caruso Record 85055 Cielo e mar "Romanza"

Post by Viva-voce »

Hello Dan,

Caruso's 1905 performance of this aria is my favourite of the three versions he recorded. It has elegance of style, expansivesess of phrasing, is cleanly sung, and with great control of dynamics and solid powerful high notes--a giant step forward from his 1902 G&T version.

85055 was only available initially from 1905-1907 on the Grand Prize label, withdrawn, then following Caruso's death wa re-released in 1922 for a few years as were several other of his 1904-05 recordings. Although it is not as common as most of his other Victor records, you should not have too much trouble finding this record, nor have to pay much for it, maybe up to $20-ish for an original GP pressing in clean condition (I got mine for only $5 a few years ago from a reputable dealer.)

If I were to sell you mine, the shipping costs alone would equal or perhaps exceed the record's value.

I suggest you try e-bay as there's s good chance you will find a seller of 78's that has a copy and you may want to acquire a couple other discs from them to make shipping costs worthwhile.

May I also suggest mail-order auction dealers such as Larry Holdridge in Long Island or Norbeck, Peters, and Ford in Vermont.
They may have a copy they could sell outright from their stock, and Norbeck has many of the Caruso Victors for sale off their website.

Hope this helps!

Steven

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I have been looking for this record for many years. The reason I want it is that I have all the normal Victor Caruso records except this one. I do not have all the 5000 series, but finding all of those is nearly impossible. I do have about ½ of the 5000 Carusos.

I have bid on this record twice in 2 different auctions without any luck. I imagine I'm not the only one looking for it is all I can think of. In 15 years of looking I have never seen a copy of this record.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

That is surprising as I've seen it on several occasions over the years--but I understand where you are coming from because I've had similar experiences trying to find other Victor records of his--like a clean copy of 81029 Tosca: Recondita Armonia on the Monarch label. I never see it. But I do have a nice equivalent first stamper pressing of that on red G&T, issued at the same time.
Sometimes, once I finally acquire a copy of a disc that has eluded me, I begin to notice it turning up more frequently!

I am sure you will find it soon. It's such a satisfying performance!

Steven

melvind
Victor IV

Re: FOUND: Victor Caruso Record 85055 Cielo e mar "Romanza"

Post by melvind »

I found a copy of this record to buy. Thanks everyone that took a look.