Wanted: Amberola Gear

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Wanted: Amberola Gear

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

I recently aquired an amberola 75. The gear that's connected to the mandrel is worn where it drives the governor and makes an annoying slapping noise as the machine plays. Does anybody have one of these gears in good shape?

Thanks,
Stephen

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Wanted: Amberola Gear

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

My Amberola 30 did this after I took it apart. After a bunch of sliding the governor around I was able to get it running quietly on the original gears.

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Yes, I tried that and unfortunately it did not work.

Thanks,
Stephen

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Stephan,

Most likely, it's not worn. They have a way of cracking, leaving one gear tooth space slightly wider than the others which makes a "chunk, chunk, chunk" noise when running. Don't any of the suppliers sell a nylon gear for this? I know they don't for Amberola V's, but I think they may be available for 30's, 50's & 75's.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Carefully examine the spiral on the governor shaft for wear. My Amberola V had a cracked gear but even with a new gear custom machined by JerryVan, it still is not quiet because of severe wear to the spiral. I'm currently in the market for a replacement part.
Since Amberola 50s are common, and the 30, 50 and 75 all use the same motors, you shouldn't have any trouble finding good used parts for your machine.

Jim

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

To my knowledge the 50 and 75 used a single-spring motor, but the 30 has one spring. Did they just take 30 motors and add another spring? (I know there's plenty of room and on mine it looked like there was room for another spring.)

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

The amberola 30, 50, and 75 all have the same mechanism. The only difference is the 50 and 75 have two spring barrels and a different winding gear shaft.

Stephen

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I think I have the gear you need. If you will PM your phone number I'll send a photo. Jerry Blais