Wanted: Parts for Edison Edisonsonic Beethoven

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
colmike1
Victor III

Re: Wanted: Parts for Edison Edisonsonic Beethoven

Post by colmike1 »

marcapra wrote:Wow! Less that $6 each! Somebody is losing some money. Do you have them yet. At that price, they could be plastic! Were they advertised as being for an Edisonic Beethoven? Does the seller have more?

Also, I don't know if this fits your definition of a junker, but this Schubert has been on Ebay it seems like for years. It has been amputated and incorrect style legs put on. But it is complete otherwise even including an Edisonic reproducer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1920S-Edi ... Swd0BVv67x

Marc.
I have them here and the are solid brass. Their website is www.furnitureknowledge.com and their ebay handle is tablesaver.

As for the Schubert on ebay, 1: Too nice to part out. 2: Too much for my needs. There was one (also too nice to part out) at an auction in Chicago I passed, as I already have a restorable Schubert, for $125.00. Kicking myself now. The horn in Australia is affordable, but not sure what shipping will be fro down-under.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I checked that furniture website and sure enough, they do sell the door pulls for $6 each, but it doesn't include the correct door escutcheon. Luckily, you said you don't need the escutcheons. Good luck in your search. Have you tried George Vollema in Michigan? His store is closed until April, but he would probably know if he had a junk Edisonic.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Bump.... Still looking.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

This might be a long shot, and I am in no way an expert, but George described an Edison horn which is nearly round, which seems to be what we have here. Even though it most likely isn't, I thought I'd at least show it to some more knowledgeable people.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-Phonogr ... SwGPxaOiTo

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Finding a donor for the original Edisonic horn might be awfully hard. Certainly the real ones are different than the prior pre-Edisonic horns, but given a model or accurate drawings and measurements, I bet a skilled sheet metal and welding person could modify an old 250 (or maybe 200?) -size horn and pivot shaft assembly to fit. All you would need to do is:

- fabricate a new, longer, vertical portion of the horn neck
- lengthen the original pivot shaft
- make sure the mount points line up for the pivot shaft and that the reproducer throat is correctly positioned
- assure the horn has clearance from the cabinet through the full range of motion

I just went down and made quick rough measurements of my Schubert vs the C-19 (250 size horn) DD machine here. I don't have a 200 horn handy. It's mainly the overall height of the horn assembly that's different between them. The opening of the horn is slightly less squashed on the Edisonic but I seriously doubt the sonic qualities are that different.

Here are the numbers, all very quick and approximate.

HORN OPENING
Edisonic: 14.5"w x 13"h (that's 14.5 x 13 x pi = 592 sq in)
250 size: 16.5"w x 11.5"h (that's 16.5 x 11.5 x pi = 596 sq in)

PIVOT SHAFT LENGTH (actually the distance from the top surface of the motor board to the top surface of the bottom of the horn chamber)
Edisonic: 20"h
250 size: 14.5"h

Also note that on the Edisonic there is a metal brace welded diagonally from the top of the horn, about halfway back from the opening, to the horn throat. Motor boards and mounting points and geometry for them are identical across the two types though.

So...

Lengthen the horn throat by 5.5" and the pivot shaft by the same amount, add the brace, and bingo. Only thing of concern is the wider 250 horn might bang into the sides of the cabinet at either or both ends of the range of motion. If you or Marc can send me the width of a Beethoven's horn chamber I will be able to figure that out easily.

Heck I even have a 250-size horn with the correct late "oxidized" finish on the reproducer throat that you could use. Maybe also a 200 if that's what ends up being needed, but I'd need to check on that. Or maybe just bend the 250 horn into a less-squashed, less wide, shape?

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

marcapra wrote:I checked that furniture website and sure enough, they do sell the door pulls for $6 each, but it doesn't include the correct door escutcheon. Luckily, you said you don't need the escutcheons. Good luck in your search. Have you tried George Vollema in Michigan? His store is closed until April, but he would probably know if he had a junk Edisonic.
It appears that this firm also offers back plates which are awfully close to the originals. I am ordering a set of pulls and plates just to see.

They also offer pulls which appear to be near copies of those used on the Victrolas 8-35 and 8-36, and pulls which would be reasonable replacements for those used on the Victrola 7-11.

Oh, and by the way, Thanks to Marc I have a spare grille which is in nice condition, though with incorrect grille cloth, and also have a pair of lids with tight veneer. Now that my Beehtoven is complete I nlblonger need these excess bits.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

colmike1 wrote:Wanted, the following parts for the Edison Edisonic Beethoven phonograph we recently rescued in Louisville, KY. What I am needing for the Beethoven is:
1: A complete horn assembly (will a horn from an earlier machine work? I have a junker A100 and a C150 in storage.)
2:A grill (or set of measurements and photos that we can make a copy of)
3: A pair of knife hinges for the right door that covers the horn.
4: The wooden back plate that the lid hinges mount to. (If not, I can duplicate this).
5:FOUND (quality reproduction)The dangly part of the door knobs. I do have the back plates.
There may be other little bits and Bobs I need throughout the process, but I think I have the rest in various parts machines around home.
Thanks in advance.
Pending: Grill, lids, doors & hinges.

Still looking for a horn unit in the USA.

There is light at the end of the tunnel!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

colmike1 wrote:
Pending: Grill, lids, doors & hinges.

Still looking for a horn unit in the USA.

There is light at the end of the tunnel!
If this hobby teaches us anything, it's patience! :)

I'm finishing up a restoration this month that took over 5 years. (Of course, I'm not unduly compulsive... ;) )

Good luck!
George P.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Uncle Vanya wrote:
marcapra wrote:I checked that furniture website and sure enough, they do sell the door pulls for $6 each, but it doesn't include the correct door escutcheon. Luckily, you said you don't need the escutcheons. Good luck in your search. Have you tried George Vollema in Michigan? His store is closed until April, but he would probably know if he had a junk Edisonic.
It appears that this firm also offers back plates which are awfully close to the originals. I am ordering a set of pulls and plates just to see.

They also offer pulls which appear to be near copies of those used on the Victrolas 8-35 and 8-36, and pulls which would be reasonable replacements for those used on the Victrola 7-11.

Oh, and by the way, Thanks to Marc I have a spare grille which is in nice condition, though with incorrect grille cloth, and also have a pair of lids with tight veneer. Now that my Beehtoven is complete I nlblonger need these excess bits.
Received the parts. Thanks. Now the restoration can continue! Still looking for a horn assembly.