SOLD: Edison DD-DEEP HENDERSON-Charley Skeete-51775-$495

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
FellowCollector
Victor IV

SOLD: Edison DD-DEEP HENDERSON-Charley Skeete-51775-$495

Post by FellowCollector »

Extremely rare and desirable Edison Diamond Disc #51775 featuring Charley Skeete's Orchestra with "DEEP HENDERSON" Fox Trot and "TAMPEEKOE" Fox Trot.

Both sides are in Excellent condition and both sides play beautifully. For what it's worth, a different copy in similar condition realized $651 on eBay last year.

Charley Skeete was a black band leader in New York City who, as far as I know, walked into a recording studio just once - and that was on June 8, 1926. And that lucky recording studio was, amazingly, Edison's. And his orchestra recorded only two selections that day which are here on this Edison Diamond Disc.

Notable band members present that day were: Charley Skeete (piano), Gene Johnson (bass sax) [listen to Johnson's FABULOUS bass sax solo in my video of DEEP HENDERSON below], Cliff Glover (clarinet), Tommy Benford (drums), Leonard Davis (trumpet)[awesome solos!], Jimmy Harrison (trombone).

These are two of the finest early jazz selections ever recorded, in my opinion, for ANY record label in ANY recording studio.

Sadly, the recordings were not popular with contemporary Edison Diamond Disc customers and few were sold and fewer have survived.

Here is a video I made of this exact record being played on one of my early Edison A-250's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDDTJYH1ig

You'll search a very long time to find a nicer copy of this incredibly elusive Edison Diamond Disc.

PM with interest. Thanks.

Doug
Attachments
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG
IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG