FOR SALE: Zonophone Model A (Glass sides) - $4500

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
redson68
Victor Jr

FOR SALE: Zonophone Model A (Glass sides) - $4500

Post by redson68 »

OK, I took some better photos of the A and offering up once again. This is a great machine that plays really nice and has the original tag and finish. Can't say enough about this phonograph. It's currently in LA so I can hold it until the summer show or ship it out. Feel free to PM with questions. New Year's Special: $4,500. Gary
Attachments
20171231_081958_resized.jpg
20171231_082058_resized.jpg
20171231_082031_resized.jpg
20171231_081924_resized.jpg
20171231_081838_resized.jpg
20171231_081829_resized.jpg

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: FOR SALE: Zonophone Model A (Glass sides) - $4500

Post by drh »

Please pardon my ignorance, but my experience with Zonophones is nil. What's the function of the extra little stob or plunger jutting out of the turntable surface? Thanks, and happy new year!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

drh wrote:Please pardon my ignorance, but my experience with Zonophones is nil. What's the function of the extra little stob or plunger jutting out of the turntable surface? Thanks, and happy new year!
Some of the early records had a partially recessed area in the same spot. The spring-loaded pin would engage the recess and "lock" into it. This would (in theory) prevent the record from sliding around on the turntable felt once the relatively heavy horn/arm/reproducer assembly was lowered onto the record.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Keep in mind that these early Zonophones were made in 1900 and 1901 - at the same time as the last U.S. Berliners and the first years of Johnson/Victor production. Berliners and Johnson/Victor machines used record clamps on their turntables, which required unscrewing to remove the record and screwing back down to secure the next record. The retractable pin on the early Zonophones was a big improvement; one of several points of superiority over Berliners and Victors of the period.

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Years ago we had a great article in the MAPS newsletter In the Groove which made a comparison between the Berliner and Zonophone machines. The article compared both performance and appearance of the two machines that were offered at that time in history. The Zonophone was clearly superior as both an innovative and finely finished machine. A followup article compared the VTLA (it might have been the slightly later "L" door XVI) with the then recently introduced Amberola I-A. If my memory is correct both were excellent articles written by our very own George Paul.

Jerry Blais

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

52089 wrote:
drh wrote:Please pardon my ignorance, but my experience with Zonophones is nil. What's the function of the extra little stob or plunger jutting out of the turntable surface? Thanks, and happy new year!
Some of the early records had a partially recessed area in the same spot. The spring-loaded pin would engage the recess and "lock" into it. This would (in theory) prevent the record from sliding around on the turntable felt once the relatively heavy horn/arm/reproducer assembly was lowered onto the record.
Interesting. Thanks!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B. wrote:Years ago we had a great article in the MAPS newsletter In the Groove which made a comparison between the Berliner and Zonophone machines. The article compared both performance and appearance of the two machines that were offered at that time in history. The Zonophone was clearly superior as both an innovative and finely finished machine. A followup article compared the VTLA (it might have been the slightly later "L" door XVI) with the then recently introduced Amberola I-A. If my memory is correct both were excellent articles written by our very own George Paul.

Jerry Blais
Good memory, Jerry! :)

Those "Consumer Reports" were written over 30 years ago!

George P.