WANTED: Victor V in Excellent Original Condition

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: WANTED: Victor V in Excellent Original Condition

Post by brianu »

OrthoFan wrote:I don't know if this has its original finish or not. It has quite a shine to it, but it's possible some type of oil (possibly lemon oil?) has been applied to doll it up. It looks to be a later production model--Victor V, Type C--with the larger case and semi-automatic brake. According to the Victor Data Book, the Exhibition sound box for this series was eventually supplanted by the Victor No. 2.

In any event, it's been up for sale for several months now, and it might be worth it to contact the seller --

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/d/ ... 60272.html
00d0d_q4EAhUTKne_1200x900.jpg
00C0C_lojLVZQ8HDp_1200x900.jpg
OrthoFan

That machine looks much better and is definitely more appropriately priced. but wouldn't that automatic brake set-up be a later addition or upgrade rather than something that accompanied the machine new from the factory? I also recognize that photo backdrop - the seller regularly sells on ebay as well, using photos that always show those hummels in the back.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

brianu wrote:That machine looks much better and is definitely more appropriately priced. but wouldn't that automatic brake set-up be a later addition or upgrade rather than something that accompanied the machine new from the factory? I also recognize that photo backdrop - the seller regularly sells on ebay as well, using photos that always show those hummels in the back.
Hi Brian:

According to the Victor Data Book by Robert Baumbach, the Victor V, Type C was equipped with an automatic brake. The illustration in the book also shows the downward post from the tonearm. The cabinet, itself, was larger by about two-inches across in both directions.

In fact, one of this site's members -- Amberola -- used to own a Vic. V equipped with the automatic brake -- http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=15260

By the way, if you've never seen one, here's a video of the late production mahogany version of Victor V (Type D?), also with an automatic brake, produced around 1917 according to the poster -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiu2k0JMKUA

HTH,
OrthoFan
Last edited by OrthoFan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

OrthoFan wrote:
brianu wrote:That machine looks much better and is definitely more appropriately priced. but wouldn't that automatic brake set-up be a later addition or upgrade rather than something that accompanied the machine new from the factory? I also recognize that photo backdrop - the seller regularly sells on ebay as well, using photos that always show those hummels in the back.
Hi Brian:

According to the Victor Data Book by Robert Baumbach, the Victor V, Type C was equipped with an automatic brake. The illustration in the book also shows the downward post from the tonearm. The cabinet, itself, was larger by about two-inches across in both directions.

In fact, one of this site's members -- Amberola -- used to own a Vic. V equipped with the automatic brake -- http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=15260

HTH,
OrthoFan
I have seen a few of these in the wild years ago pre- Internet. Very late ones even came with the Victrola No. 2 reproducer. It's definitely original Victor and a very cool late variant in my opinion.

To my eye, the CL machine looks far more "honest" than the eBay machine FWIW.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

OrthoFan wrote:
Hi Brian:

By the way, if you've never seen one, here's a video of the late production mahogany version of Victor V (Type D?), also with an automatic brake, produced around 1917 according to the poster -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiu2k0JMKUA

HTH,
OrthoFan

oh, that's right... I'd forgotten... I actually used to have a very late Vic V, in oak, with the oversized cabinet and horn, but it had a more standard brake. thanks.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

OrthoFan wrote:I don't know if this has its original finish or not. It has quite a shine to it, but it's possible some type of oil (possibly lemon oil?) has been applied to doll it up. It looks to be a later production model--Victor V, Type C--with the larger case and semi-automatic brake. According to the Victor Data Book, the Exhibition sound box for this series was eventually supplanted by the Victor No. 2.

In any event, it's been up for sale for several months now, and it might be worth it to contact the seller --

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/d/ ... 60272.html
00d0d_q4EAhUTKne_1200x900.jpg
00C0C_lojLVZQ8HDp_1200x900.jpg
OrthoFan
This one is local to me, and I can go look and get better pix if anyone is interested...and even purchase (with YOUR money) and hold it for future pickup by the Blais Express if that will help.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Thanks for all the suggestions and notes in some cases. I've gotten some good information and some promising leads. We'll see what happens. :monkey: