FOR SALE: 2 project Edison Recorders

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Re: FOR SALE: 2 project Edison Recorders

Post by Victrolacollector »

Teak wrote:
Victrolacollector wrote:However, the other problem is making the holder for the cutter, I have made many attempts and I just don't have that knack for making them.
this might be of service:
That is a good resource from the Compleat Talking Machine , but I actually followed it and it didn’t work for me.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

edisonphonoworks wrote:I think new recording stili will be available soon, and at a reasonable price. I installed last week a brand new .039" in diameter cupped center sapphire I will let you know more after tests,My first tests of the stylus seem bright and clear. I am not making them, however a fellow collector and lapidary expert is working on them. Stay tuned! :D
I wonder if they could make some shaver blades as well?

Bill

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

If the blades can be sharpened that is all that is needed. Most shaver blades are nicked, so they need to be brought down below the nick to razor sharpness, a good shaver will cut you if you touch it, just like a razor blade! My shaver knives definatly need attention, they have many hours of use on them. The rough shaver for instance has lots of shaves on it, as I have to take a blank with a diameter of 2.320" in diameter down to 2.210 with the rough shaver, and then 2.210 down to 2.195-2.155" for customer use. (I can record and play on blanks 2.245" by using the studio recording head and wire spacers in the reproducer carriage to raise the reproducer for thick blanks.) When I make the "ski jumps" for recorders, I first make a square, I use .005" thick copper sheet. .750" long and .45" tall, I use a soft tone needle to create the pocket for the sapphire to fit in and use the small jewelry making needle nose shaping pliers to shape the cutter tube portion. (with round ends, not the corrugated ones) the angle is just right for the angle for the lift. I then fold over the excess copper to make the feet it sets on for the center of the diaphragm, I also before this trim the top like a heart so the feet look nice and rounded. I use shellac made from flakes and some denatured alcohol, so the consistency is like paste, and that is what I use to glue in the sapphire, stratina would be a better choice. The tail portion of the stylus holder I flatten down, to make the tail of the recorder body, and you have to play with the angle a little for awhile, to get it right, I use a beeswax stearic compound to glue the stylus holder to the glass (or mica). IT is 95% beeswax to 5% stearic for the mounting compound.