FOR SALE: Records- Rarities/ Oddities- Checkemout- Various

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

FOR SALE: Records- Rarities/ Oddities- Checkemout- Various

Post by gramophone-georg »

I'm trying to rid my phonograph and record life of chaos and replace it with order. I know, I know... good luck with that, right?

I'm pricing stuff at what I think it "should" sell for. Never hesitate to send offers, though, as you never know what I'm smokin at the time. :lol: ;)

Anyways... Here goes:

1. Let's get this party started with a bang- Aeolian Vocalion 22024, "Allied National Airs", Vocalion Military Band/ "There's A Long, Long Trail", Criterion Quartet. Side A has a rough start with a forward skip at the beginning, rapidly clears up to V+. To me, these "splatter wax" records seem quite hard and hissy. It looks E+ though and will display well, as you can see. $160 OBO SOLD!

2. Brunswick 2870, "Lord Geoffrey Amherst" Amherst Glee Club / "College Medley", (arr. by Harry Reser) Amherst Mandolin Club. Side A is as much of a yawner as it sounds, but B sounds like the Six Jumping Jacks in march/ rag tempo, and is hardly *just* a "mandolin club". Lots of hot banjo, there, too, which isn't all that surprising given the "arranger" whom I also suspect of leading the session. Visual E+ but hissy playback, and fidelity is good enough on B that I am wondering if this might not be electric.

Here's the odd part: I've seen other copies of this on Vocalion. Never saw it or heard of it on Brunswick before! Stunning splatter wax! $160 OBO SOLD

3.Electradisc 1905, (RCA Budget label, very short lived 1932-3, replaced by Bluebird) Tom Berwick Orch. as "Pennsylvania Collegians, "Pink Elephants" / "Pu-leeze, Mr. Hemingway", E-, plays E, $30 OBO

4. OKeh 40329, Jimmie Joy's Orch "Clarinet Marmalade Blues" (recorded in Texas)/ Scranton Sirens Orchestra, "Common Street Blues" (recorded in New Orleans). Visual E-, plays E, very scarce $85 OBO

5. Vocalion 3217, Louis Armstrong Orch., "Walkin' My Baby Back Home/ "Savoy Blues". Visual E, plays better. Yes, OKeh repressings and not terribly uncommon, except THIS copy was pressed in the West Coast plant where the remaining Columbia Royal Blue shellac was sent to get mixed in with the black shellac to create this example of an elusive dark blue Vocalion. Most dark blue pressings were reserved for Brunswicks. $45 OBO
Attachments
Rare and odd records 013.jpg
Rare and odd records 014.jpg
Rare and odd records 007.jpg
Rare and odd records 005.jpg
Rare and odd records 010.jpg
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: Records- Rarities/ Oddities- Checkemout- Vario

More:

6. Oddball Pacific Coast Record Corp (aka "Flexo")Titan 5.5" Green flexible record, "Season's Greetings From The MJB Demitasse Revue". 2 sided disc, part 1 and 2, recorded 1930. It looks mint; I never played it. Would display nicely on a Baby, Little Wonder, or Genola type machine. No idea what it is or isn't worth. As far as I'm aware this is the only green copy known. Make offer!

7. Victor "Higher Fidelity" demo disc, Tommy Dorsey Orch. "Song Of India" /"Who?". Visual E, plays great, and it really is "higher fidelity"! $50 OBO

8. Allen Bros. on rare late Victor 23000 series; 23623 "Laughin' And Cryin'" / "Unlucky Man". Rare roots hillbilly blues. Visual V+, plays E. Bonus original sleeve. $45 OBO SOLD- Offer Accepted

9. Paradise Islanders Hawaiian Guitars on Victor 23695, "The Missouri Waltz" / "Beautiful Ohio". This is a 1932 recording that wasn't a huge seller- nothing was in 1932- but this copy was pressed with original stampers in 1940- 41- gold "circular" label with the Victor Needles plug. I've never seen another 23K series disc on circular Victor. This is obviously not a "repressing" per se but a late pressing first run original, as Victor repressings tended to be issued on Bluebird or were issued later catalog numbers. Visual E+, plays NM. $30 OBO

10. Jack Teagarden Orchestra on Royal Blue Columbia 2913-D, "I've Got 'It'" / "Plantation Moods". Two great tunes with plenty of great trombone played as only Big T could. Visually a scuffy V, plays at about E-. Essential early jazz recorded in 1933, at the murky dawn of the Swing Era. $30 OBO SOLD!!

Sorry I goofed- the last pic goes with the first record.
Attachments
Rare and odd records 006.jpg
Rare and odd records 011.jpg
Rare and odd records 012.jpg
Rare and odd records 001.jpg
Rare and odd records 009.jpg
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Last Batch

11. Autograph, no number, Lampe's Orchestra from the Trianon Ballroom, "Trianon- A New Dance" / "Trianon Chicago Tango". One of the very first, if not THE very first, commercially issued Electric recordings. While fidelity is not really improved on this early example, clarity is- you can hear all the instruments. Input seems too high on electrical playback (like an early Brunswick "Light Ray Recording")and the musical content isn't horribly exciting, but this is a RARE and very historically important recording. visual E- to V++ (scuffs) but very minimal surface noise and plays really well. $90 OBO SOLD!

12. "Follow Through" Special Record 1011-P. These were sold in the lobby of the Broadway theatre when the show debuted in early 1929. This is a late Columbia acoustical issue (a la Harmony, Diva, VelvetTone records pre 1931). It really demonstrates just how far this genre of recording had come. Two great tunes, "I Want To Be Bad" and "Button Up Your Overcoat" are very jazzy. "Buddy Golden and his Wolverines" is likely either Sam Lanin or Ben Selvin; my ears say "Selvin" and Tommy Dorsey likely on trombone.

Unusual limited edition personal issue that looks E+ and plays like new with great labels $45 OBO SOLD!

13.Dandy 5141, Georgia Melody Makers, "Sweet Child" / "Charleston Mame". This is the California Ramblers (Golden Gate Orch. to Edison collectors) c. 1923 on a very rare label. Possibly a Grey Gull product. Not sure. V+, plays like a Grey Gull so V to V+, great labels $30 OBO SOLD!

14. Tom(my) Dorsey Novelty Orch. on OKeh Electric 41422, "You Can't Cheat A Cheater" / "Daddy Change Your Mind". Tommy Dorsey on hot trumpet with a small combo for backup. 1931 issue. Tommy and Jimmy both started off on trumpet as lads. Here's a rare chance to hear Tommy's quite capable jazz trumpet chops. Visual E, plays as new. Note that the photo makes the record appear with "grey" grooves... they are not. Few known copies. $50 OBO SOLD!

15. Harmony 1138-H, couples Sam Lanin doing a hot "Kickin' A Hole In The Sky" backed with Jack Albin with "Blue Is The Night", both as "Frank Auburn and his Orchestra". First, these are electric recordings with fantastic fidelity. Second, the Lanin side is the non- vocal take of this great feel- good Depression tune. It's somewhat hotter than the Columbia version and Cornell Smelzer rips a nice semi hot accordion solo where Scrappy Lambert's vocal is on the Columbia Ipana Troubadors version. Visual E with a couple non sounding lam cracks emanating from the spindle hole Lanin side only. January 1930 recording with Jimmy Dorsey on clarinet and I think it's Tommy Dorsey on trombone. $40 OBO
Attachments
Rare and odd records 015.jpg
Rare and odd records 017.jpg
Rare and odd records 016.jpg
Rare and odd records 004.jpg
Rare and odd records 008.jpg
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Record No. 2) Brunswick 2870 --- SOLD!
Sending PM

Thanks,
Bob Coon

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

#13 Dandy "Charleston Mame" is sold!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hey donnieJ, does this mean more new 78s? (Hint Hint, Not so subtle Hint.)
If I wasn't doing machines and trying to save up for another machine I'd have more of your records. Looks like I'm going into the old-typewriter business! (Campus is full of folks wanting a manual machine.)

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Hey donnieJ, does this mean more new 78s? (Hint Hint, Not so subtle Hint.)
If I wasn't doing machines and trying to save up for another machine I'd have more of your records. Looks like I'm going into the old-typewriter business! (Campus is full of folks wanting a manual machine.)

You'll do well with your vow of poverty in this hobby for sure. ;)

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Hey donnieJ, does this mean more new 78s? (Hint Hint, Not so subtle Hint.)
There are plenty of new 78's in the works, but this one is for my own collection. As much as I'm obsessed with "Charleston", I can only copy ones that will pay for themselves...

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I'd like the Autograph.I can send you a check with shipping/handling for it.edisonplayer

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

edisonplayer wrote:I'd like the Autograph.I can send you a check with shipping/handling for it.edisonplayer
Sure, that works. PM ing you info in a few.