FOR SALE: RARE Armstrong 12" Prog. Transcription, E-, $500

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

FOR SALE: RARE Armstrong 12" Prog. Transcription, E-, $500

Post by gramophone-georg »

This is something I already know I'll regret doing, but I need to fund another project and at least I still have the 12" two sided 78 version... so here goes.

I'm offering a really pristine copy of, to my knowledge, the only 12" popular series Victor Program Transcription ever issued, L-36000, "Medley Of Armstrong Hits". This was recorded in December 1932 and likely released in early 1933.

The "Program Transcription", was, of course, Victor's first foray into a true Long Playing format. Developed in the late Twenties, it was a very viable and quite advanced development for its time, but unfortunately its introduction with the absolute most unfortunate timing, just as the Great Depression started nearing its worst, doomed it to failure due to the enormous costs of both the two speed Electrolas needed to play these and the cost of the records themselves.

Interestingly, the online Program Transcription databases do not list this particular record- they list it as a 15000 series release which leads me to believe it may *possibly* have been issued as a 2 side 10" Transcription also. The only mention of this version is in Rust- and it only lists half of the selections.

In any case, this is the only copy of L-36000 I've ever seen.

The record is a visual E-, with a few light scratches and marks that don't affect play being all that stands between it and E+. It plays just great. Reverse side is the RCA Victor spiderweb design as shown. This issue is shellac and not "Victrolac", the proprietary Victor flexi pre vinyl.

Asking $500. Crazy? Maybe. :lol: I'm not inclined to move much on this one, though. Fair warning.
Attachments
Armstrong Transcription 001.jpg
Armstrong Transcription 002.jpg
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: FOR SALE: RARE Armstrong 12" Prog. Transcription, E-, $5

Post by gramophone-georg »

Floating this back to the top one time and then it goes back in my collection. :mrgreen: I've had a couple serious collectors tell me they didn't know this record existed. Neither did I till I found it. The "normal" P-T of this is a two sided 10" version AFAIK.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek