WANTED: CONSIDERATION TO OTHER SELLERS

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

WANTED: CONSIDERATION TO OTHER SELLERS

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Due to the situation where TMF only has one selling topic area, I would think anyone selling a bunch of items that are all similar, (especially records) that it would be considerate of them to just list them as one topic versus monapolizing the the selling topic area. Not taking such a considerate action pushes others selling items back their recent posts out of view, as well it encourages others to do the same to have to combat such activity . I’m just saying. Maybe I shouldn’t have.

Also, if only one item was posted and it sold, it would also be considerate to simply edit the subject of the initial post with “SOLD” as oppose to replying to your own listing, which again pushes everyone else’s post back, needlessly.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Re: WANTED: CONSIDERATION TO OTHER SELLERS

Post by Mormon S »

kendphono
Victor II

Post by kendphono »

This also raises the question of should there be a separate selling list for records. This would be much fairer to those selling non record items. Their posts rapidly get pushed off the front page, as you say.

Ken

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

I posted this also a few months ago. No one is interested it seems. It's not the posters fault really. It's allowed. Having some consideration would be nice though.
Like the post I put in yesterday and is now on page 2 due to a few posts and then 9 single record listings. Why not 9 records in one listing? I try to combine all my wants in one post and all my WTB into another one.
Kirk
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Personally, I don't see a problem with posting several items as individual posts. It's not a big effort to scroll back a page or two. I always check previous pages until I've seen everything new. I've bought a lot here and sold a few things too. :monkey:

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I agree with all sides here.
I've tried records both ways- putting a load of them in a single thread vs. listing a few at a time individually. A few at a time individually wins as far as results go hands- down every time. I limit myself to two or three at a shot but I have thousands in surplus. Trying to list them in big "mystery box" lots works so- so, but then there are always people wanting to cherry pick.

As far as getting bumped off of Page 1- I almost always find myself never advancing to Page 2 when logging on to see what's new as a potential buyer, so I "get" the complaints about that. And the gripe about a post that says "SOLD" bumping an item up- I've been guilty of that and will stop- with a caveat: posts are only edit- able for so long, and I think it's only polite to list an item as SOLD when it's sold, so if someone buys something off an older listing that can no longer be edited "bumping" it with a SOLD post is the only way. I've had people inquire about items that I posted so long ago that I've forgotten about it, and marking it SOLD keeps from driving both the buyer and seller crazy.

A record section would be nice, but I'd imagine it would turn into the same mess as eBay with records clogging the phonographs category because they're "accessories" (and the record categories are oversaturated)... even when they are 45s and LPs... :roll:

It'd also be nice to see a "late model" section where we could advertise more modern hi fi stuff that plays 78.

I think the ideal compromise might be a "see seller's other items" feature.

Problem is, Brandon doesn't have the "keys to the castle" to do any of this, so we're all limited in that respect to the format as it stands until we get to the next phase of whatever the TMF becomes.

I guess the best solution (at least for me) is "don't take it personally". Seriously, life's too short, and there's too much collecting to do to waste time being peeved off over stuff we can't control. :)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Valecnik wrote:Personally, I don't see a problem with posting several items as individual posts. It's not a big effort to scroll back a page or two. I always check previous pages until I've seen everything new. I've bought a lot here and sold a few things too. :monkey:
Thats where I feel differently. I personally rarely go to page 2 because I didn't think the posts moved so fast. I only go to page 2 when mine is on it..
Maybe thats why some agree and some disagree.

Kirk
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

The drama and micro-managing of the Yankee Trader's listings (formatting issues, unhelpful critiques, and stuff like this thread) has kept me from selling here for some time. This really makes an otherwise welcoming and helpful forum look kind of mean-spirited and grumpy. Consideration goes both ways. Just my opinion...

Martin Kauper

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I really, really tried not to reply to this, but I can’t help myself. I chime in now with my little opinion because it seems so completely obvious to me: there should absolutely be a separate section for records for sale. However, I don’t know about the technical difficulties that would be involved in its creation so I withhold all judgement as to why it hasn’t been created. For potential reasons that have not have occurred to me, it may be problematic and I’m open to understanding.

My eyes glaze over when I see all the records listed individually. Because of different capitalization standards, formats, and unavoidable differences in title lengths, it’s difficult for me to differentiate the listings. I’ll go a step further and say that I think postings by people like, say, Don Wilson (who lists his multiple records in single posts, btw) or VictrolaMonkey, who spend countless hours of hard work, investment, and ingenuity, making serious progress towards keeping this hobby viable into the future, are not exactly the same as postings selling off a collection or find of rare records (in my humble opinion, of course, remember. I understand finding, cleaning, grading, listing, and photographing records is work too. I still just think it’s very different). I can absolutely see how some of the valued and talented people in this community could potentially feel slighted by the regular flood of individual postings of records and various bumps of said listings.

I also find it hilarious how people will justify actions that many (including themselves) would consider tacky/annoying/offensive/gimmicky with, “but it works!/free market!” But I’ve already gone way too far and I won’t go further.

It’s all just my opinion, not worth a cent, and I’m just throwing it in the ring here. Pardon me, I’m all elbows.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

While I agree that sometimes there seem to be floods of new or bumped postings for records or items I'm not interested in, but other times after I did not login for a few days there are only a few new listings when I come back. This is what every "classifieds" section has in common, it's not tailor made for me. Who am I to tell someone that his $400 record does not have the same right to be posted individually as a $150 Victrola or a $20 junker cabinet? We are all in the hobby for our individual reasons, so we should all respect everyone else's reasons. I haven't seen anyone post hundreds of $1 red Columbia's individually, so I don't really see a reason to complain.

I always check all new listings from the bottom up (oldest first), that sometimes means I'm starting from page 2 or even page 3. So far it hasn't killed me. In order not to miss this one important item that was just posted I first glance over all the newly listed items, then I start at the bottom and read every single post.

Andreas