SOLD: 5 Packs of Decca Cactus Needles + Carton - $75

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

SOLD: 5 Packs of Decca Cactus Needles + Carton - $75

Post by HisMastersVoice »

5 NOS packs of Decca cactus / thorn needles plus the original carton. $125 plus shipping.
81FC9320-FE65-4142-B4D2-F3473F53F963.jpeg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: FOR SALE: 5 Packs of Decca Cactus Needles + Carton - $10

Price lowered

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: FOR SALE: 5 Packs of Decca Cactus Needles + Carton - $90

Price reduced

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: FOR SALE: 5 Packs of Decca Cactus Needles + Carton - $85

Price reduced - now just $17 per pack!

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: FOR SALE: 5 Packs of Decca Cactus Needles + Carton - $75

Now 75

OldRestorer
Victor III

Re: SOLD: 5 Packs of Decca Cactus Needles + Carton - $75

Post by OldRestorer »

May I ask why these are special?

Are these special? I use them but if they are that expensive I may have to stop, lol
Attachments
IMG_1272.jpg
IMG_1269.jpg
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

I've never heard of that brand, but cactus needles are special because they are easier on records, can be easily re-pointed using a special sharpener, and 1 pack can last years. The species of cactus used I believe is extinct or endangered (correct me if I'm wrong) and nobody has yet to accurately reproduce the chemical formula used to harden them. All things considered, at $15 per pack (they sell for a lot more on eBay usually), it's not really that expensive if you think about how many plays you will get out of 1 pack. I still have 2 cases of them in my private stash which I'll be keeping, but after opening 2 packs about 8 years ago, I've yet to run them all down (in conjunction with using steel, of course).

By all means, use them. But I've never been a "save it for the next guy" kind of person.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Ooooh,
Ok.. Multiple plays per needle.. I did not know that. I thought maybe the artwork or something. I also thought it was $75.00 a pack. :lol:
I need to pay more attention to whats written in the listing..
Kirk
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

HisMastersVoice wrote:I've never heard of that brand, but cactus needles are special because they are easier on records, can be easily re-pointed using a special sharpener, and 1 pack can last years. The species of cactus used I believe is extinct or endangered (correct me if I'm wrong) and nobody has yet to accurately reproduce the chemical formula used to harden them. All things considered, at $15 per pack (they sell for a lot more on eBay usually), it's not really that expensive if you think about how many plays you will get out of 1 pack. I still have 2 cases of them in my private stash which I'll be keeping, but after opening 2 packs about 8 years ago, I've yet to run them all down (in conjunction with using steel, of course).

By all means, use them. But I've never been a "save it for the next guy" kind of person.
Ah! Having taken over making and selling Burmese Colour Needles from Dave Williams here in the UK, I'm researching all this avidly and will publish an article in due course. I hope to post it here after that, and/or have it available on my forthcoming website. In short, the original process for hardening them, dating back to around 1928, was steeping them in a solvent for a specified time (still done!). Coating or slightly impregnating them with a resin (shellac or other) was optional depending on the raw thorns used and it looks as though BCN dropped that within the first few years. A species of prickly pear was used originally - it isn't extinct but the original supply was wiped out due to it being eradicated as an invasive non-native. It looks as though Saguaro was used in the States, now protected. Two hints there which might have led to the 'extinct' idea...
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?