FOR SALE: Edison Transitional Model B Standard $550

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Crank_it_up
Victor III

FOR SALE: Edison Transitional Model B Standard $550

Post by Crank_it_up »

This is not your everyday Edison Standard Model B. Is is well documented that Edison liked to use all of his resources. So when it came time to transition from Model B to C there must have been some B bed-plates hanging around and maybe they decided to practice with the new striping method and relocation of the data plate. The results are on this machine. Of course most Model B's used single striping, the same since the Square top model. This has the double striping ala Models C, D and up. Also note that the data plate that is usually mounted under the mandrel on the right side on most B's, is in the rear like C, D, and up. But, the end-gate still remains like other B's and it is a 2 minute only with a Model C reproducer. Add to that the fact that it is in great original condition so what we have is a great collectible machine that runs smooth and quiet and sounds great. It comes with an original horn and an original crank. Note the horn has a very small hole drilled in the bell near the 10 o'clock position. The cabinet finish is all very nice and is original The structure is solid, no splits or repairs only a few nicks on the lid. I will offer it for sale without the horn for $500. There isn't much else to say, if you have any questions please PM me or more pictures can be posted upon request. Payment will be some old fashioned way; check, money order or cash. Shipping will be in 2 boxes well packed and will be actual cost. I will use new boxes and new packing material, NO newspaper or old shop towels. If you are in South Florida you're welcome to pick up or I am traveling to Macon, GA next week (around March 16) and also just north of Chattanooga, TN if anyone is along that I-75 route from South Florida. Thanks for looking. Joe
Attachments
IMG_1212.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG
IMG_1200.JPG
Last edited by Crank_it_up on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Transitional Model B Standard $600

Post by phonogfp »

This Standard Model B is a very late production example - - probably built in 1909. The Model D was introduced in October 1908, and according to Martin Kauper's helpful data, the earliest known Standard D is numbered 623072. This Standard B is numbered 37,000 units beyond that!

Keep in mind that Standard Bs, Cs, and Ds were being produced simultaneously for some time.

Cool machine! :)

George P.

ehs004
Victor III

Post by ehs004 »

PM sent
Thanks Eric

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Here are images of the crank and the motor. The crank is super clean and original. No surprises in the motor, looks untouched and runs great.
Thanks, Joe
Attachments
IMG_1338.JPG
IMG_1340.JPG

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

phonogfp wrote:This Standard Model B is a very late production example - - probably built in 1909. The Model D was introduced in October 1908, and according to Martin Kauper's helpful data, the earliest known Standard D is numbered 623072. This Standard B is numbered 37,000 units beyond that!

Keep in mind that Standard Bs, Cs, and Ds were being produced simultaneously for some time.

Cool machine! :)

George P.
Thanks, George for your remarkable wealth of knowledge and willingness to share it.
I sold an early Model D last year that was serial number 644xxx and it resided in a Model B cabinet yet everything else was typical of a Model D. I would post pics but don't want to cause confusion with this thread.
Joe

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Joe,
I can't take credit for Martin's work - but I certainly use it!

I bought a Standard D back in 1972, and it was No.676769. It too was in a B-type cabinet and I've seen a number of Cs and Ds in them - all relatively early numbers.

This brings up the question: if early Cs and Ds were cased in the B-type cabinet, why isn't this unusually late B in a later style cabinet? A mystery... :)

George P.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

It does make a little sense if your Model D 676769 was in a B cabinet that this one was 16000 units earlier it should be in a B cabinet.
Maybe? Thanks, Joe

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Oh, of course... I forgot your machine's serial number! Wow - maybe I'd better start drinking coffee in the morning (or anytime!).

George P.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Both Joe and George's machines are right in that period of transition. When the Late style case was introduced, it appears for a time that there was a rationale that the Late cases would go on the Model Ds while the Bs & Cs got the Tall style cases. However, there are sprinkled examples that run counter to that with Late style cases on the 2 minute machines and Tall style cases on the model D machines. While some of it certainly can be attributed to ill-informed case swapping, I now believe that there are far more legitimate examples of both versions that were delivered from the factory that way from new. Certainly, as the model B production ended there was additional push to use up all of the old style parts. It's an interesting period in the Edison company's history and Joe's machine is a really cool late example of the model B.

Regards,
Martin

ehs004
Victor III

Post by ehs004 »

There was another one sold on E Bay recently ,looks pretty nice as well . I certainly find them intriguing .SN 639468

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edison-Standar ... xdrEU%253D

Eric