FOR SALE: Prewar Classical/ Opera Rarities/ Oddities No 1

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

FOR SALE: Prewar Classical/ Opera Rarities/ Oddities No 1

Post by gramophone-georg »

1. 12" GENNETT Music Appreciation Series, (Educational) no 60- "My Heart At Thy Dear Voice" from Samson and Delilah, Nevada Van Der Veer, contralto / Prize song from Der Meistersinger, Theo Karle, tenor. NY Phil, cond. Henry Hadley. Visual V+, plays E- sticker on one label, $75 SOLD

2. Brunswick "Hall Of Fame" series 50074, TOSCANINI cond. NY Phil., Midsummer Night's Dream selections, Nocturne (a)/ Scherzo (b). Toscanini's ONLY non Victor/ HMV sides, and his first electrical recording. Visual E, plays E+ to NM. Light scratch/ marks not affecting play, $75

3. OKeh 50005, JOHN McCORMACK, "Celeste Aida". Visual V+ that plays at least E, and the scratch is superficial, happily NOT affecting play- at ALL- with a 3 mil stylus. Sticker on label. $50

4. Victrola 95022, Adelina Patti, "Home Sweet Home", rare white typewritten label custom early 1920s repressing of original stamper. Visual E, plays E+, with a few very slightly stressed high notes. Sticker on label. $45

5. Victrola 35173-A, Huguet, Cigada, and Badini, Pagliacci: "I know that you hate me". Visual E that plays E+. White typewritten label post 1922 repressing of original stamper that appears to be Grand Prize era in origin $45

6. Victrola 35175-B, Same as #5, "Naught I Forget", visual E- plays E+, $45
*Please note that even though #5 and 6 are labeled as "A" and "B", they are separate single face pressings.

All records could benefit from cleaning. In my opinion, stickers should be able to be removed by buyer's preferred method.

Don't like my price? Let's hear yours!
Attachments
oddities 1 001.jpg
oddities 1 002.jpg
oddities 1 003.jpg
oddities 1 004.jpg
oddities 1 005.jpg
oddities 1 006.jpg
oddities 1 008.jpg
oddities 1 007.jpg
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: Prewar Classical/ Opera Rarities/ Oddities No

What the hell- lets do a ½ price sale OBO. I pull these prices out of my nether regions based on what they used to go for on eBay. I need the space more than the records and these need good homes! :mrgreen:

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

PM sent

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

The Gennett is sold and the rest remain. Let's BLOW THEM OUT for $100 plus ship for the LOT! :o :shock: :lol:

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

BUMP- $100 FOR ALL EXCEPT THE GENNETT WHICH IS SOLD

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

Interesting selection. As you probably know items 5 and 6 derive from the complete recording of the opera made in Milan in June 1907 by the Gramophone & Typewriter Company.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

neilmack wrote:Interesting selection. As you probably know items 5 and 6 derive from the complete recording of the opera made in Milan in June 1907 by the Gramophone & Typewriter Company.
Actually, no, I did not know that. Thanks for the info! :)

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

neilmack wrote:Interesting selection. As you probably know items 5 and 6 derive from the complete recording of the opera made in Milan in June 1907 by the Gramophone & Typewriter Company.
This 1907 Pagliacci the first complete opera ever recorded isn't it ? On 11 sides. Or at least it's the the first by the Gramophone Co.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Wolfe wrote:
This 1907 Pagliacci the first complete opera ever recorded isn't it ? On 11 sides. Or at least it's the the first by the Gramophone Co.
Yes, I believe so. Definitely one of the earliest for sure. I think G&T put out most of Trovatore in series also, but those recordings were sung by various singers in the different roles and recorded over a period of a few years, from I think around 1904-07.
I think there was a complete Trovatore (in French) and Carmen or some other opera done in France around the same time. Marston Records issued them several years back.

Gramophone did Leoncavallo's opera Chatterton soon after the Pagliacci, and most of the original Chatterton records (all released on the "pre-dog" label) are very rare. Ward Marston also put out both of these sets together in one issue.

Steven
Last edited by Viva-voce on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

Wolfe wrote:
The Pagliacci is on 21 sides, a mixture of 10” and 12” discs, some issued with black labels, and the sides with
Paoli, the tenor, on the red labels of the international celebrity. I’ve so far managed to collect 14 sides, in a variety of issues - original G&T, continental two-sided G&T, later HMV, two-sided black label Victor. Most later pressings don’t acknowledge that they’re part of a set on the labels. Some of it was still in the catalogue in the 1920s.

It’s a fine performance, and the sound surprisingly spacious for early acoustic.