Wanted - Crane for Edison Gem

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
ScottMusil
Victor Jr

Wanted - Crane for Edison Gem

Post by ScottMusil »

I am looking for a crane for an Edison Gem Model B. It has the ¼" hole in the bedplate. I actually have the end piece with the chain to hang the horn. I'm OK with reproduction.

I wish I had looked here first before buying a horn for this!

OldRestorer
Victor III

Re: Wanted - Crane for Edison Gem

Post by OldRestorer »

Told ya they had stuff here ;)

Kirk :)
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Take your Gem to a welding supply business and buy a 3’ rod that fits the hole. You’ll have a choice of metal. Put it in a vice where you want your first bend. Slip a piece of pipe over the part that’s above the vice and bend to suit yourself. Put your crane in your Gem. With the chain attached to your horn, hold it up to the crane to estimate where to cut the crane. Be sure to have your rubber connector attached to the small end of the horn. Cut a little groove in the end of the crane to attach the chain. You can use a bent paper clip or wire to attach the chain. Your total cost will be next to nothing. Jerry Blais

ScottMusil
Victor Jr

Post by ScottMusil »

I have thought about making a crane in just that way!

ehs004
Victor III

Post by ehs004 »

Scott,
The ¼ maroon Gem crane is also a Edison Fireside crane , the 3/16 cranes are real hard to find originals but i have found and seen quite a few of the ¼ inch originals ! I just took mine off the Gem and put it on the Fireside to show you. Sorry about the bad pictures it dark in here today!
I think the receiving hole is 3/16 on a model B , Wyatts musical Americana sells them milled down th fit.

Eric
Attachments
100_4016.JPG
100_4011.JPG

ScottMusil
Victor Jr

Post by ScottMusil »

My Gem Model B has a ¼" hole. I bought a ¼" steel rod, but am curious about the measurements. Specifically, I want to know the distance from the end of the crane that goes in the bedplate to the bend. And the angle of the bend.

ehs004
Victor III

Post by ehs004 »

Scott,
http://www.wyattsmusical.com/ Under horn section

#H-115 and #H-116

Edison Gem and Fireside Cranes Complete. Comes with 2 piece crane ,chain and rubber connector.
Gem cranes come with ¼" and 3/16"
Shaft ends, specify your machines mount hole
size. For use with H-103 and H-104.

I thought you might want to check the cost first i don't think there that expensive ,and comes complete.
Eric

H115 Edison Gem Horn Crane (3/16” end) $35.00
H116 Edison Fireside Horn Crane (¼” end)$ 35.00

ScottMusil
Victor Jr

Post by ScottMusil »

Yes, I know of Wyatt's - have been buying stuff from them for years. I know the cranes aren't expensive, but the rod I bought was $1.69 and the chain was $0.49 for 1 foot and the hook was cheap, too. I probably will get one of theirs in a few months, but want to make this one at the moment. I'm really liking this Gem more and more - and the machine was free, too! I paid $150 for a horn - and it's a pretty decent horn. Just needs cleaning up a bit.

ScottMusil
Victor Jr

Post by ScottMusil »

ehs004 wrote:Scott,
The ¼ maroon Gem crane is also a Edison Fireside crane , the 3/16 cranes are real hard to find originals but i have found and seen quite a few of the ¼ inch originals ! I just took mine off the Gem and put it on the Fireside to show you. Sorry about the bad pictures it dark in here today!
I think the receiving hole is 3/16 on a model B , Wyatts musical Americana sells them milled down th fit.

Eric
By the way, your maroon Gem is stunning! My Gem Model B has a 2/4 minute gearing. I got it about a month or so ago for free - a lady had a storage unit full of phonographs for free. I didn't see the post until a little later, but the next day did get an Edison BC-34 Baby Console in decent shape and a lady wanted the rougher cabinets, but I was able to rob parts from them. When I told the lady who had the stuff that I wished I had seen the post earlier to get the horns she had, she took me to the back of her car where there was the Gem, plus a Standard Model B (early) and a box of cylinders and cranes. All free because she didn't know if any of them work. They all do! The BC-34 needs to have the governor adjusted and the Standard (with a Model C reproducer) just needs cleaning up. The Gem case is REALLY nice and the Gem is, too. It just needed cleaning and oiling. It came with a Model K reproducer.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

ScottMusil wrote:
ehs004 wrote:Scott,

Eric
By the way, your maroon Gem is stunning! My Gem Model B has a 2/4 minute gearing. I got it about a month or so ago for free - a lady had a storage unit full of phonographs for free. I didn't see the post until a little later, but the next day did get an Edison BC-34 Baby Console in decent shape and a lady wanted the rougher cabinets, but I was able to rob parts from them. When I told the lady who had the stuff that I wished I had seen the post earlier to get the horns she had, she took me to the back of her car where there was the Gem, plus a Standard Model B (early) and a box of cylinders and cranes. All free because she didn't know if any of them work. They all do! The BC-34 needs to have the governor adjusted and the Standard (with a Model C reproducer) just needs cleaning up. The Gem case is REALLY nice and the Gem is, too. It just needed cleaning and oiling. It came with a Model K reproducer.
:shock:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek