WANTED: Columbia Graphophone Cabinet Moulding

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
phononut
Victor I
Personal Text: Music's Re-Creation is Mr. Edison's most sublime gift to mankind.

WANTED: Columbia Graphophone Cabinet Moulding

Post by phononut »

Hello All,

Soon I will be beginning a cabinet restoration on a Columbia BN Disc Graphophone. The cabinet used a “half bead Moulding” trim on the bottom of the front panels and top of the motor board (see attached photos).

Unfortunately much of the moulding on my machine is missing.

I was hoping someone may be able to help me out! Perhaps you have a parts machine sitting around that used this same moulding, and you would be able to harvest some for me. I would pay generously for your effort.

The moulding on my machine is only missing in patches so I would like to patch in original moulding if possible.

—If another forum member has also had the same issue for their Columbia and has another solution, or source to purchase a close match I would very much appreciate to hear your advice.

All the best
Brad
Attachments
1F382795-D707-4D39-990D-10E62D2050AA.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: WANTED: Columbia Graphophone Cabinet Moulding

Post by Jerry B. »

There are places to purchase new bead and rope twist moulding. Perhaps one of our members could make a suggestion of a supplier.

Jerry B.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I made my own. I got the information from Eric Reiss book, the complete talking machine. This is an epoxy casting, you can make yourself. First, get some Vaseline, and apply to the good molding. Use a very thin coat. Then get some RTV Silicone seal available at any good hardware store or auto store. Apply a thin coat over the good molding. The Vaseline prevents the Silicone seal from sticking. Let the Silicone seal set and cure for 24 hours. Peel the Silicone from the molding and clean off the molding of the Vaseline. Mix Decovon 5 min. epoxy using a toothpick and apply to the Silicone. No need to use Vaseline, because the hardened epoxy will peel right off. Using the toothpick, make sure the epoxy gets in all the little nooks and crannies in the mold. In about 5 min. the epoxy can be removed from the mold. For each molding, wait until 24 hours until hard and properly cured. Make as may pieces that you need. Then trim the moldings and glue to the case. My preference is ACC adhesive. After the moldings are fitted and the glue dries, then paint to match the case. A good hobby shop will have the paints you need. Give it a try, and let us know the results. I have used this method for replacing the small intricate modding on other phonographs.
Harvey Kravitz

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I am sure I am not the only one who would like to see what Harvey's home made molding looks like.
Dave D

phononut
Victor I
Personal Text: Music's Re-Creation is Mr. Edison's most sublime gift to mankind.

Post by phononut »

Hi Harvey

Thank you very much for your reply. That sounds like a very possible solution.

I would really like to see a photo of how it turned out if you’d be willing to share

Best
Brad